Inexpensive 700x28mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I like wiggle lifeline tyres. Good vfm not too heavy and pu***re resistant.

Tyres that are better cost 4x price...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those Zaffiros look interesting too... Decisions, decisions! :whistle:

Ha - I had opted for the Zaffiros but when I went to order just now I found that the 28Cs are now out of stock! Did one of you lot get in before me? :whistle:

Lifeline it is then! :laugh:

si_c

Guru
I rate the Zaffiro Pro tyres very very highly, I used them for a couple of years for all year round commuting, very reliable and grippy, roll quickly and are quite comfortable too.

I've used the lifeline tyres as a hot spare as well when due to supply issues I couldn't get a match to what I was already using, they are OK, for the price they're pretty good, not as grippy as the Zaffiro's but better than some larger brands. The biggest gripe I have, and I'm nitpicking here for the price, is that they feel a little dead, not so much of an issue when they're on the rear but they don't feel as lively or as though there's as much feedback when on the front. But that's a personal preference as much as anything else I think. They're not a "cheap" tyre.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Would prefer a bit of tread and more robust.
I do have some 28mm Rubinos which I was keeping for another bike but could use. I did about 20 miles on the Triban today and it was ok, just little give even at the minimum 100pai maybe less

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
These are the current tyres
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/triban-protect-road-bike-tyre-700x25/_/R-p-309408
from the description, not surprised they feel dead and hard.
It‘s a modern bike so no classic look, never been sure about Luganos and their p-fairy resistance, and the randoneurs look a bit heavy, although it’s a utility bike, it’s a road bike and I do want to move as quickly as I can :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Or I could just use what I have, but they seem a bit posh (although they were probably on special for about £20)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 6

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Would prefer a bit of tread and more robust.
I do have some 28mm Rubinos which I was keeping for another bike but could use. I did about 20 miles on the Triban today and it was ok, just little give even at the minimum 100pai maybe less

Whatever tyres you put on will have little give at 100psi and feel a bit harsh. Granted you don't wont a pinch puncture, and I'm assuming 28mm is widest the bike will take, but I'd experiment with a bit less psi - maybe 80 -ish.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Whatever tyres you put on will have little give at 100psi and feel a bit harsh. Granted you don't wont a pinch puncture, and I'm assuming 28mm is widest the bike will take, but I'd experiment with a bit less psi - maybe 80 -ish.

I’m not the lightest so can’t go too low on psi. I expect they weren’t pumped right up last night as I didn’t check but they still felt as hard as anything on rough roads and when dropping off a kerb! Granted the cheap alu frame may not be helping (I’m used to steel and Ti and carbon)
I don’t think I’d get a 32 on and I don’t have any to check

si_c

Guru
These are the current tyres
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/triban-protect-road-bike-tyre-700x25/_/R-p-309408
from the description, not surprised they feel dead and hard.
It‘s a modern bike so no classic look, never been sure about Luganos and their p-fairy resistance, and the randoneurs look a bit heavy, although it’s a utility bike, it’s a road bike and I do want to move as quickly as I can :smile:

Oof, they look, and I'm being charitable here, uninspiring.

I'd chuck a pair of Zaffiro Pro Slicks on if you can find them, or if not the Rubinos you already have.
I’m not the lightest so can’t go too low on psi. I expect they weren’t pumped right up last night as I didn’t check but they still felt as hard as anything on rough roads and when dropping off a kerb! Granted the cheap alu frame may not be helping (I’m used to steel and Ti and carbon)
I don’t think I’d get a 32 on and I don’t have any to check
I'm currently running 25s at 95psi on the commuter and I can guarantee I weight a fair bit more than you! If running 28s I'd run them at 85/90 front/rear, you won't get pinch punctures or the tyre popping off with that and you'll get more comfort.

That being said my best bike has 32s on right now and I run them at 70/75 but they are set up tubeless.

GuyBoden

Guru
Vittoria Randoneurs are good for price, grip and punctures but not great for rolling.

The new 28C Vittoria Randonneurs have a max PSI of only 75, which is too low for my weight.

The old 25C Vittoria Randonneurs had a min PSI of 100 and a max PSI of 130, a much better tyre for me.

Vittoria Randonneurs are heavy, don't roll well, but have good puncture resistance and were inexpensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom