Inexpensive 700x28mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm currently running 25s at 95psi on the commuter and I can guarantee I weight a fair bit more than you! If running 28s I'd run them at 85/90 front/rear, you won't get pinch punctures or the tyre popping off with that and you'll get more comfort.
Indeed!

I run my current 25Cs at around 90 front & 95 rear. I will certainly knock quite a few psi off for the 28Cs. (My current weight is around 84 kg; 13 st 3 lbs.)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you could..... although having made the transition from 25mm to 28mm earlier this year both myself and the OH appreciate the extra comfort of the 28mm, coming from the bigger volume and the ability to run them 5-10 psi lower with no noticeable change in rolling resistance.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
you could..... although having made the transition from 25mm to 28mm earlier this year both myself and the OH appreciate the extra comfort of the 28mm, coming from the bigger volume and the ability to run them 5-10 psi lower with no noticeable change in rolling resistance.

The question though is whether 28s will fit…as a non lover of tyre changes, can I be bothered to try fitting the Rubinos (especially as I have tendinitis in my thumbs at the mo :rolleyes:)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You’re a burly bloke though :laugh:
I’ve no idea how tyre change friendly these decathlon rims will be either!

Burly? 147 llbs isn't @Drago size and I have arthritis in my thumb too

You’re a burly bloke though :laugh:
I’ve no idea how tyre change friendly these decathlon rims will be either!
F-ing nightmare. I fitted a pair to some mavic rims and broke a few levers when trying to get them off. Found that the tyre finish was not the best and had a fair bit of flashing around the metal bead that prevented easy moving of the levers to unseat the bead. Resorted to using washing up liquid in the end to get things moving.

If it was me I would honestly pay the LBs to do it?!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
F-ing nightmare. I fitted a pair to some mavic rims and broke a few levers when trying to get them off. Found that the tyre finish was not the best and had a fair bit of flashing around the metal bead that prevented easy moving of the levers to unseat the bead. Resorted to using washing up liquid in the end to get things moving.

If it was me I would honestly pay the LBs to do it?!

A pair of the Decathlon tyres? That doesn't bode well :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The question though is whether 28s will fit…as a non lover of tyre changes, can I be bothered to try fitting the Rubinos (especially as I have tendinitis in my thumbs at the mo :rolleyes:)

Just look at your tightest clearance points now - fork tops - behind seat tube etc - do you have room for 1.5mm (lets say 2mm) of extra rubber width either side. I'd be very surprised if you don't on a Triban, its not like its an out and out race bike and it came with stock 25s. Its only quite old bikes or say tight clearance TT bikes, that came with stock 23mm where you might run into issues with 28mm rubber.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have fitted the Zaffiro Pro slicks that I bought a few weeks ago. They were easy to fit to the Aksium wheels on my Devon bike, so easy that I had no problem doing it with minor effort with hands only.

I initially put in about 6 bar (87 psi) rear and 5.5 bar (80 psi) front but I quickly found those pressures too high on rough Devon lanes so now I am using 5.5 bar rear and 5 bar (73 psi) front. The bike feels much more comfortable at those pressures than it ever did with 25C tyres.

I have only ridden on dry roads so far and all is well. I will post again after my first ride on wet roads.

So far, very pleased!

Top Bottom