Inexpensive 700x28mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
To close this off (until I change my mind or they don’t fit!) I have ordered two 28mm Zaffiros from Wiggle for the princely sum of £9.99 each in their sale
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-training-folding-clincher-road-tyre

I'm expecting an unboxing video as well as 1 month and 6 month reviews. :laugh:

Petrichorwheels

Depends, sometimes I struggle (due to issues with my joints) and get the LBS to help :okay:

The bike is going to the LBS to get the handlebars sorted so I may get them to do the tyres too if I can't :okay:

but if you don't put a particular tyre on how will you be able to sort a puncture?
(I have some - probably undersized - Conti tyres I'm not venturing out on until I'm sure I can get them off and back onto a particular rim)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
but if you don't put a particular tyre on how will you be able to sort a puncture?
(I have some - probably undersized - Conti tyres I'm not venturing out on until I'm sure I can get them off and back onto a particular rim)

I have ETA cover, if I can't fix the puncture, they'll get me home and then I can do while sat in front of the TV or take the wheel to the LBS. I do only very very rarely get visits (as I use decent tyres). I had my first one recently in a number of years, ETA refunded my Uber (I was in a massive rush and didn't have time to fix especially as I managed to snap the valve in my haste :rolleyes:)
I am cash rich but time and patience (and mechanical sympathy) poor, so this approach works well for me :okay:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just fitted the 28mm Rubino pros to the Triban, decathlon tyres came off without too much of a fight with tyre levers. Feel like tough stiff things compared to the Rubinos. I’ll try them out tomorrow. Got to be a better ride than the others!

I’ve recently fitted (well the LBS did as the bike was in) 28mm Rubino graphene something or others to the titanium 🦄, a much nicer ride than the 25mm Zaffiros So I’m hopeful.

if anyone wants a couple of fairly lightly used 25mm tyres to collect from Sutton, let me know!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just fitted the 28mm Rubino pros to the Triban, decathlon tyres came off without too much of a fight with tyre levers. Feel like tough stiff things compared to the Rubinos. I’ll try them out tomorrow. Got to be a better ride than the others!

I’ve recently fitted (well the LBS did as the bike was in) 28mm Rubino graphene something or others to the titanium 🦄, a much nicer ride than the 25mm Zaffiros So I’m hopeful.

if anyone wants a couple of fairly lightly used 25mm tyres to collect from Sutton, let me know!

pity your so far away !
just watched a video about tyres and the zaffiros came out near the top of the bunch overall in a "budget" test .They even beat the wiggle lifeline race tyres for rolling resistance by 5 watts per tyre .

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
pity your so far away !
just watched a video about tyres and the zaffiros came out near the top of the bunch overall in a "budget" test .They even beat the wiggle lifeline race tyres for rolling resistance by 5 watts per tyre .

Actually I meant the Decathlons, but I do have the Zaffiros too (had forgotten). Although the LBS said they were a little perished on the sides which is odd as they are reasonbly new (mechanic did say it’s quite common with Vittoria tyres)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Actually I meant the Decathlons, but I do have the Zaffiros too (had forgotten). Although the LBS said they were a little perished on the sides which is odd as they are reasonbly new (mechanic did say it’s quite common with Vittoria tyres)

im settings PBs on my 11 year old boardman with rubinos , odd compared to my carbon that had michelin service course on till i went ultra budget and started using the lifeline race which got good reviews but to my cost i have found them slow( ok for £15 a tyre i guess )
Commuter has zaffiros and just bought another set , i might take the life lines off and keep them as spares or put them on a winter bike as they are too slow for my summer ass up head down summer riding

Adam4868

Guru
Was going to buy a pair of Rubinos in 28 but there seems to be a lack of stock ?
Where as the Zaffirios are easier to come by,anyone any views on them as a winter tyre.

Top Bottom