Inferior technology that did well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Betamax gave better picture quality that VHS yet VHS was far more popular.

MP3 files gave worse quality sound than CD yet people still adopted it for convenience. (Some will argue that CD quality was worse than vinyl).

Bluetooth audio still doesn't work quite as well as it should, eg in a car.

Android and Windows are not designed as well as iOS, well there's an argument waiting in the wings, but I keep pressing bits of the android screen that I didn't mean to and so on. Windows always asks me if I'm sure I want to do something.

Hardware in the old days used to work fine. These days the hardware is released and if something doesn't work, we are told to wait for a firmware update. I want my hardware to work well on day one darnit! Example camera.

Ditto for software.

Techies have moved us to a release-often-release-early time. This has benefits because software is supposedly developed with higher quality yet when bugs are reported, the lead developers have moved onto the latest feature and bugs are left to be fixed by less skilled coders.

The words "viral" and "brutal" are overused, especially on YouTube. Eg: this brutal video has gone viral. Wth. Stop it! Also, stuff gets "leaked", like a new product is about to be launched and a news story is "leaked".

Edit: this was edited.

Edit 2:
And also these days mobile apps seem to need internet connection for everything, even for offline content. For example of Indore up Amazon Kindle, it hangs for the longest time while it panics about not being online, even when I want to read locally stored offline books. Madness.

Last edited:

Cheddar George

oober member
Steel bicycle frames..... I have no desire for Carbon.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When we had our new kitchen put in, my missus was pressing for an induction hob. I said no, I like gas. She went on at some length about the delights of induction hobs - they look great, they react instantly, they're easy to clean, de blah de blah de blah. I said no, I like gas. Since I do almost all the cooking, she grudgingly conceded.

Moving on, we're at her sister's place, and I find myself cooking dinner for 10. Her sis has an induction hob. Her sis doesn't cook much, and has probably never had all four rings going at the same time. Or not going. Because maybe it's the full-on factor that makes the damn thing keep turning itself off, with all the indicators flashing E...E....E... I had to turn it off at the wall and on again at least a dozen times. Every now and again a passing munchkin would say helpfully 'That means 'Error', which helped a lot.

I like gas.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Nobody has improved on this basic design.
IMG-20171027-WA0007.jpeg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5015878, member: 259"]Joy Division and New Order.[/QUOTE]

Please expand and show your workings. Both guises have their charms.

When we had our new kitchen put in, my missus was pressing for an induction hob. I said no, I like gas. She went on at some length about the delights of induction hobs - they look great, they react instantly, they're easy to clean, de blah de blah de blah. I said no, I like gas. Since I do almost all the cooking, she grudgingly conceded.

Moving on, we're at her sister's place, and I find myself cooking dinner for 10. Her sis has an induction hob. Her sis doesn't cook much, and has probably never had all four rings going at the same time. Or not going. Because maybe it's the full-on factor that makes the damn thing keep turning itself off, with all the indicators flashing E...E....E... I had to turn it off at the wall and on again at least a dozen times. Every now and again a passing munchkin would say helpfully 'That means 'Error', which helped a lot.

I like gas.
I used to have an induction hob, paid a lot of money for it and hated it. Binned it after 12 months. The buzzing got on my nerves, it never got hot enough to brown anything in a wok/frying pan, and the constant error/fault messages were just plain annoying. Went back to standard ceramic, as I don`t have a gas supply in the kitchen. Much better, and less hastle

Top Bottom