Info please for a good, strong, robust turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am on the road to recovery from various heart and lung surgical procedures and am wanting to do quite a lot of turbo trainer exercise on my bike before going out onto the open road, primarilly because I want to check if my ticker is working properly when under load.

I have never been into high tech gadgets or indeed almost anything to do with Apps, smart phones or 'I' pads, as such any kind of turbo trainer that links into the internet is very much NOT FOR ME.

There appears to be a thhousand and one different kinds of trubo trainers on the market place, some of which appear to be very poorly built and only last for a very short period of time. So I am looking for a turbo trainer that is very robust, quite basic and yet it has the ability to have the resistance increased etc.

All halp and advice will be greatfully received.

screenman

Legendary Member
My own Cateye cs-1000 was purchased in 1996 and is still bang on, Chris Hoye used them as well, they stopped making them but well worth looking for a used one.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got the Tacx Blue Matic, it's very strong indeed, and certainly nothing fancy. The only interactive bit is a manual (cable controlled) resistance lever that you mount on your bars.
They're about 90-100 pounds new.

Shouldn't be that difficult to find. Don't discount the budget ones either - probably get one for about £50-60 - it wont have all the bells as whistles - but you can spend more if you decide turbo's are for you.

A gym membership might also give you a few options - plus they will have first aiders on hand should things go awry !!!!!

tom73

Guru
Mine don't being open 24 hours your lucky if see any staff most of the time.
Another vote for Tacx Blue Matic not too flash but well made.

screenman

Legendary Member
The cateye cs-1000 are good home trainers and very rare to find especially fully working.

I know, I paid £400 or so for my first one in 1989 or around that time, my son took it when he moved out and I purchased another one.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I wasn’t interested in a smart turbo trainer (which to me is like a glorified online game), instead I wanted a robust, smooth and quiet fluid trainer (I knew that if it didn’t feel and sound like a quality piece of kit then I would tire of using it very quickly). So about 5 years ago I bought a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Trainer and I was so happy with it that a couple of years later I bought another one for my wife’s bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did use a set of borrowed Tacx rollers while I was incapacitated in 2018 after a bad RTA.

Resistance is varied by gear selection, dead simple and nothing to go wrong. Your session can be as hard or easy as you want it to be and trust me, you know when you have done an hour on them, there will be sweat everywhere. I always looked like I had wet myself when I got off!!!!

Adam4868

Guru
I did use a set of borrowed Tacx rollers while I was incapacitated in 2018 after a bad RTA.

Resistance is varied by gear selection, dead simple and nothing to go wrong. Your session can be as hard or easy as you want it to be and trust me, you know when you have done an hour on them, there will be sweat everywhere. I always looked like I had wet myself when I got off!!!!
I have rollers as I'm only ever going to do a hour at most if I can't get out on the bike.Due to weather such as ice/wind.Takes concentration aswell as turbo bores me senseless ! As for nothing going wrong....don't take them for granted and be near a wall 😁

I have rollers as I'm only ever going to do a hour at most if I can't get out on the bike.Due to weather such as ice/wind.Takes concentration aswell as turbo bores me senseless ! As for nothing going wrong....don't take them for granted and be near a wall 😁
What happens when you are too close to a wall?

Top Bottom