Inhaled a fly - Will I be OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have swallowed numerous flies in the past, and I know these will not cause any harm
However, to day I am pretty sure that I inhaled one. I had an immediate coughing fit that went on for 15 minutes or so. But I never saw the fly in anything I coughed up.
Could it get into my lungs / trachea? If so, will it cause any harm?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd make arrangements if I were you ....

Pauluk

Doubt if it got down into your respiratory passages, your throat does a good job of blocking these things. Like when you eat for example, but if you feel anything that causes concern you could try ringing NHS direct and ask them.

How are you feeling now?

redcard

Veteran
Feel OK apart from a bit of mild discomfort between my shoulder blades and a feeling of having something stuck in my throat.

Probably just psychological at this point.

potsy

Rambler
Not swallowed a fly for a bit, but got hit on the nose by one this morning, bloomin stung I know that much, massive it was :B)
Even the flies are hard up here :boxing:

Pauluk

The feeling in your throat could be that you have some slight inflammation/lesion from the coughing fit, like when you swallow a tablet and it feels like its still there in your throat even though you know you have swallowed it. This will likely pass within a day or so. The same with the feeling between your shoulder blades, its probably caused by all the coughing you did.

If you are breathing ok, no shortage of breath or sharp pain when you breath, then I wouldn't be too concerned. As I've said, I doubt very much that you inhaled anything down that far without your throat intercepting the offending object.

If by some slight chance it did get to your bronchial passages the hair on their surface will trap it and work it back out, not necessarily all in one piece. You body will do a good job of destroying any foreign organic matter that may be there.

If you're still worried ring NHS direct.

Top Bottom