Injured and in pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy500

Just looking for some sympathy and also a lesson for me and others!

Was on my way out to the club run meeting point at 8:30 am on Christmas eve, hit some black ice when I was doing about 22mph and the bike just shot out from underneath me. I landed very heavily on my right elbow and hip, also slammed my head into the tarmac (as evidenced by the damage to the helmet), slid along the tarmac removing skin from elbow and hip. I lay on the road for 30 secs whilst I got my bearings. Eventually got back to my feet but with a slight pain in my hip and blood seeping through my clothing, cobbled my damaged bike back together and decided to continue to the club run meeting point as at that stage I didn't feel to bad.

Met up with the other club members and went off on a 40 mile ride with them. My hip and thigh during the ride gradually got more and more painful to the point where from 1/2 way around the ride I couldn't put any power into the right pedal through my right leg, hill climbs were pure hell.

By the time I got home I was in agony and could barely get off my bike. I could not put any weight on my right leg. Off to A&E I went, was x-rayed and scanned and informed that it is soft tissue damage probably made worse by carrying on riding after the fall, what a numpty I am!!!!

Now been on crutches for a week with probably weeks to go with no foreseeable prospect of riding again any time soon. AND ITS DRIVING ME MAD.

So what mistakes did I make? Well should not have gone out early in the morning when there was a possibility of ice around, should have taken my bike in the car to the meeting point as the club ride does not start until 10am, by then any ice would have gone. I should not have continued riding after the fall as, I assume, the adrenaline from the fall suppressed the pain. Should have stopped during the club run when the pain was getting worse and either called an ambulance or got my better half to fetch me rather than trying to play the hero.

Let this be a lesson to others.

Rgds

Andy500

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Ahh, there there...How's that? :hello:

G-Zero

Über Member
Get well soon and I hope you're back in the saddle sooner rather than later.

Black ice is bad and can lurk where other stretches of road have warmed up or dried out.

I'm probably teaching people to suck eggs, but keep watching ahead for potential 'microclimates' ie. building shadows, under trees, shaded dips, high hedges or walls around a bend where you can anticipate shade; and also crossing bridges (where freezing temperatures can penetrate from below too) :cold:

Blue

Legendary Member
I must admit that I never venture out on the bike when 'jack frost' is about - that's when my turbo earns its place.

However, I sincerely hope that you will soon be back in the saddle. HNY to you :cheers:

It seems as though the spirit of Johnny Hoogerland is alive and well in Nottinghamshire. Get well soon.

Thomk

Guru
Get better soon Andy. I had the same experience 2 weeks ago and fractured my elbow. I tried a ride today (9.5 miles) but it was pretty painful so I'll leave it a couple of weeks before trying again. Can't wait to get back to it...

OP
OP
A

Andy500

Get better soon Andy. I had the same experience 2 weeks ago and fractured my elbow. I tried a ride today (9.5 miles) but it was pretty painful so I'll leave it a couple of weeks before trying again. Can't wait to get back to it...

Sorry to hear about your injury, get well soon.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Lots of lessons learned there Andy! Hope you recover quicker than you expect.

Out walking with Mrs A+T around Blanchland early on Friday morning [2 degrees after a clear, freezing night] we were passed by a lad on a road bike gunning down the hill, must have been getting well over 30mph... the road had a cross fall with intermittent sheets of ice over it where water from the slope had tracked over the camber between the white lines in the centre.. how he stayed on his bike goodness only knows.

avsd

Guru
Ouch you have my deepest sympathy. I fell once at lower speeds and was sore for a few weeks. Get well soon.:hello: Glad it is only soft tissue damage. Adrenaline is a two-edged sword.

Top Bottom