Injured and in pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Get well soon !

i hit some black ice last winter in the dark and hit the deck hard , sometimes you have to MTFU and sometimes you need to listen to your body and wimp out , the trick is to learn which side of the line your on .

billy1561

BB wrecker
Often wondered why the club runs set out earlyish in winter. Surely lunchtime is reasonable to take account of black ice?
Anyway, a speedy recovery is wished. All the best.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Often wondered why the club runs set out earlyish in winter. Surely lunchtime is reasonable to take account of black ice?
Anyway, a speedy recovery is wished. All the best.

I guess its the fact that it gets dark early , on Tuesday our club run left the met point at 9.15 am and i got home at 3 pm , yesterday the same start time and i got home at 12.20 pm .If we started in the afternoon it could be dark and icy .

Hope you recover soon.

The thing to always remember after an accident is that you are not in a good position to make any decisions!

The body has a whole arsenal of systems that kick in when you are injured. The problem is that they are all designed to enable you to either fight the cause of the injury or to run away.

As a result there is a lot of masking of pain, injury and the normal sane and rational thought processes that you would use.

It will always be a difficult call.... my wife rode 3 miles to work on a broken ankle, then decided that it was probably worth seeking some medical advice!

Sit yourself down for a few minutes, gio through things in your head, including the mechanism of the injury and always assume that your injury is masked and is worse than it feels and err on the side of caution.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
So what mistakes did I make? Well should not have gone out early in the morning when there was a possibility of ice around, should have taken my bike in the car to the meeting point as the club ride does not start until 10am, by then any ice would have gone. I should not have continued riding after the fall as, I assume, the adrenaline from the fall suppressed the pain. Should have stopped during the club run when the pain was getting worse and either called an ambulance or got my better half to fetch me rather than trying to play the hero.
Sounds like you've come to some good conclusions there, although I'd just as soon find out what the road conditions are like solo before riding in a group - and if it's cold tat extra hour wouldn't make much difference. I went a real pearler late January last year at about 11am, all roads dry and ice-free up till then.

So my Lesson 1: if there's any chance of ice, I don't go out other than on my well-gritted route into town. I look at the forecast and recent temperatures from a number of websites, and leave a margin of at least 2-3 degrees above freezing for country roads.

And I recently too fractured an elbow (not on ice, but same effect) at the beginning of a club ride - I too went on for a bit, but then asked myself "what if it is broken, and I get 30 miles away from home?" (it was not painful, but clicking oddly) - so a quick turn-around, and back to A&E (on the bike, obviously). Nothing they could do other than to say to take pain killers, but at least my mind was put at rest. So, Lesson 2: if in any doubt whatsoever after a fall: skip the ride. The roads will still be there for the next one; the 'next one' will be a lot further off if you make the wrong call.

Anyway, get well soon, and take care!

yello

Ouch indeed. You go down so fast on ice that you really have no time to prepare - not sure whether that's a good thing, a bad thing or a thing thing. It's certainly a shock whichever it is; one second riding along, the next, 'bang', on the deck.

Plus side is that you've learnt some lessons in a not too serious a way.

Hope your back on the bike soon.

Chrisc

Guru
Did the same thing this am. Good thing is lack of road rash from sliding on the ice under the bike.
Hope you heal quick. I was lucky to get away with some bruises and a cut elbow. It did happen in the blink of an eye tho.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Sorry about your crash. Get well soon.

Quite new to pushbikes but my Football, tennis and squash mantra has always been as soon as you pick up an injury.....stop and deal with the injury and don't go back until it's fixed.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Enjoy if you can any rest Andy, but hope you heal speedily for a new year. Dosen't seem to come across okay but the sentiment is there:training:

Top Bottom