Injured hand - any experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Three months ago I came off my bike twice in the space of 2 weeks (gravel and diesel on the road) and bent the fingers on mt right hand back on both occasions..

Went to A&E on first occasion, diagnosed stretched tendons. Hand strapped up for a few days and told to let nature take its course and all will be ok.

Three months on my hand still hurts. Pain is constant albeit low level. All four fingers feel sore on the first segment of each finger from the knuckle. When I wake in the morning my whole hand has a dull ache.

Additionally I cannot eg press the nozzle of a spray can very well (painful) and if I 'catch' any finger and make it move laterally the pain is intense.

Aged almost 57 through experience most heavy knocks etc take an absolute age to clear up (if at all) but should I leave it a while longer of get myself off to the GP?

Any ideas what exactly could be causing this?

Thank you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's causing it is being 57, that's what. I'm the same age and I find it takes much much longer to recover from small injuries.

But as a taxpayer and an enthusiastic tester of the NHS I would go and see my Doc anyway. It's all good experience for the Doctor!

Ciar

Veteran
I am not 57 still only 42, but i do realise the older you get the longer injuries take to heal, I managed to damage the ligaments on a finger on my right hand over a month ago, still sore still not able to do certain things as it's weak, i did my ankle ligaments years ago playing rugby, took over a year for them to get back to anything resembling okay, even now they are still a tad dodgy.

bus as Globalti said, best of visiting the Doc all the same, i would if something like this was bothering me.

Wobblers

Euthermic
That doesn't sound right. Tendons shouldn't take that long to heal. I'd definitely go to the doctor, just to make sure there isn't any other damage.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Went to GP - 3 badly stretched tendons = 1 painful steroid injection into each: ouch! (x3).

Apparently I can expect pain and discomfort for about a year or so so that's that then.

Also it seems that my Doc' deals with these things all the time with the occasional biker having fell off their bike but more often with cricketers whose fingers get bent back whilst trying to catch the ball and tennis players who fall over more often than cyclists fall off their bikes.

So: cycling's not as dangerous as it may seem!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wow, you got steroid injections that quick. Our GP just points you towards the consultant's waiting list, so it takes months ! Good service there.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Wow, you got steroid injections that quick. Our GP just points you towards the consultant's waiting list, so it takes months ! Good service there.

Don't you go to the Vets' in Cumbria instead?

Sara_H

Guru
Definitely seek medical advice. My OH had a serious hand injury a few weeks ago and had to have surgery to repair nerves, veins and arteries. I don't think he had any tendon damage, but he has got skin contractures and is now wearing a splint (specially made for him by phsiotherapist) at night time to encourage his fingers to straighten out.

His consultant told us to expect it to take a year before he reaches full recovery.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

He does them on a walk in basis - in the past I have had them for tennis elbow and carpal tunnel syndrome.

I just thought that was the standard NHS service for steroid jabs.

Finger feels very slightly better but still not good - have to go back in a further 2 weeks time for more jabs and try again - not really looking forward to them if I need them as they are pretty uncomfortable things!

Top Bottom