Inner tubes - to talc or not to talc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Did anyone ever use the square stick of chalk?? and the miniature cheese grater????? :tongue:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jimboalee said:
Did anyone ever use the square stick of chalk?? and the miniature cheese grater????? :ohmy:

Yeah have used that, Used to get more of it over my trousers than the tube though.

Fiona N

Veteran
I usually talc the inside of new tyres to make the tubes easier to get out. Recumbents, especially the trike, don't seem to get as many ***s as uprights, so it's often years between removal of inner tubes by which time they are semi-bonded to the inside of the tyre.

Not that I'm complaining about lack of ***s, of course ;)

I/we always talc. The list of reasons for doing so in a fleet of 400 bikes, trikes and quadricycles is as long as my arm. It's best practice. And who the fcuk is Hobst Brandt when he's at home?

jimboalee

A traditional cycle polo bike has a single fixed gear of 1:1 ratio, usually 20 x 20.
The manouvering, stopping and accelerating involved ripped tubes apart if they were not glued in :biggrin:

The rear wheel was a 40 spoke to cope with the torque from standing on the rear pedal immediately after riding forward as fast as possible.

The rider's centre of gravity was much more rearward than usual - the seat tube was curved round the rear wheel and the seat pin had a 6" rearward extension. This was to allow the rider to do a '180' wheelstand turn, emulating a 'J' turn in a motorcar.

The roughest treatment I have given a rear tyre recently was attempting to climb Saintbury on a recce for the Mad March Hare.
I try to avoid anything that would effect adhesion between tube and tyre.
When it comes to severe climbing, I dare say a dose of spray adhesive wouldn't go amiss.

Yes, when I get a p******re, I peel the tube out.

jimboalee

Jobst Brandt is a guy who spent his life writing a definitive book on how the bicycle wheel is built.
I got all I needed to know from the kind people at Dawes Cycles.

Jobst is probably at home right now - in Palo Alto, California. Probably fast asleep at this precise instant :biggrin:

jimboalee said:
A traditional cycle polo bike has a single fixed gear of 1:1 ratio, usually 20 x 20.
The manouvering, stopping and accelerating involved ripped tubes apart if they were not glued in :biggrin:

The rear wheel was a 40 spoke to cope with the torque from standing on the rear pedal immediately after riding forward as fast as possible.

The rider's centre of gravity was much more rearward than usual - the seat tube was curved round the rear wheel and the seat pin had a 6" rearward extension. This was to allow the rider to do a '180' wheelstand turn, emulating a 'J' turn in a motorcar.

The roughest treatment I have given a rear tyre recently was attempting to climb Saintbury on a recce for the Mad March Hare.
I try to avoid anything that would effect adhesion between tube and tyre.
When it comes to severe climbing, I dare say a dose of spray adhesive wouldn't go amiss.

Great.

barq

jimboalee said:
Jobst Brandt is a guy who spent his life writing a definitive book on how the bicycle wheel is built.

A bit off topic but... I've found Jobst Brandt quite generous with his time over in rec.bicycles.tech.

Mickle, could you share some of your (400+;)) reasons for talcing? I'm kinda agnostic, but interested.

zzpza

jimboalee said:

i've never used talc on a tube either. my current tyre (vittoria open corsa evo) seems to be designed to stick itself to the tube. i believe this is due to vittoria billing it as an 'open tub' tyre. so when i have a puncture i have to peel the tube off the tyre too. it's quite surprising how hard you have to pull!

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
barq said:
Mickle, could you share some of your (400+:smile:) reasons for talcing? I'm kinda agnostic, but interested.
Ooooh, I think we have a controversy, ladies and gentlemen! :blush:

This could run and run, just like the "Do you grease square taper bottom bracket axles?" one :sad:

Top Bottom