Inner tubes - to talc or not to talc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jimboalee said:
On the front end of your bench vice, there is the end of the lead screw shaft. There is a hole through it with a shaft of steel which slides up and down. The shaft of steel has raised ends to stop it slipping straight out.

The sliding shaft of steel is a "Tommy bar".

Oh. One learns something 'useful' every day...

jimboalee

P220209_1139.jpg

Here's a PRK I grabbed at Poundland.

Patches are LARGE, but will work.
Two tubes of solution - handy.

CHALK - and lots of it with one of those miniature cheese graters.

I will use the chalk to write "Retire NOW Lance" on the Champs Elyse.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Dave5N said:
Torque wrenches on bikes are for the terminally cautious or the incompetent or the autistic obsessives.

I keep both of mine in the cupboard so that must mean that I am none of the above - just pedantic. xx(

Plax

Guru
I have a very bog standard puncture repair kit (I actually can't remember what came in it as I have mixed two PRK's together). It comes with 2 tubes of solution, several patches of varying sizes, yellow crayon, sandpaper, a cheese grater, chalk and tyre levers. I haven't quite figured out what to do with the crayon as I always mark the punctured area with the chalk. Then I sandpaper it, stick some solution on, stick a patch on and then grate some chalk over tha patch to dry off the left over solution. Works for me.

It has never even entered my head about talcum powder. I always use a bit of spit if I'm having trouble getting the wheel off ;)

xroads

Seeing as we're comparing puncture kits.... Wilko do a pretty good one for 80p with a decent set of feathered patches.

jimboalee

Yeh, those Wilko feather edge patches work fine. At 80p that PRK is my usual.

The Poundland PRK was interesting, but I won't use those patches.
Rema Tip-top have the reputation and I used them religiously while I could get them 'Trade'. I think they are 30p EACH now :tongue:. I was paying 15p for a strip of six.

The Wilko patches are my choice now.

Top Bottom