Inner tubes - to talc or not to talc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Personally, never, but others swear by it.

jimboalee

The little canister of talc in a PRK is for dusting the vulanising solution that is not under the repair patch.

It should be brushed away when it has done its job - making the excess solution NON sticky.

Talc or 'releasing compound' INSIDE the inner tube is common and can be forgotten about.

Talc between inner tube and tyre is a no-no. Talc is a self lubricating powdered mineral. Lowest on the Mohr's scale. It will allow the tube to move around inside the tyre and the valve will become 'cocked' over. I never use the valve stem knerled lock ring because when I see the valve 'cocked' over, I know something is wrong. Out comes the tube and it is washed, along with the inside of the tyre.

The joint of a Presta valve where it is held in the tube has been known to come adrift due to the tube shifting around inside the tyre. Difficult to believe, but it happens. Minute ammounts of tyre deformation accumulate over time and cause the inner tube to creep. Especially the rear when climbing a steep hill.

On a Motocross dirt bike, there is a 'security bolt' which helps the tube stay in place.

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
jimboalee said:
...Talc is a self lubricating powdered mineral. Lowest on the Mohr's scale. It will allow the tube to move around inside the tyre...
Jobst Brandt thinks not...

jimboalee said:
...and the valve will become 'cocked' over.
...but any risk of this is enough to persuade me - I shall desist from the use of talc forthwith! Thanks :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
No. The french chalk stops the repair sticking to the tyre casing. That's all you use it for.

I think that's what Jimbob said but I got a bit bored and gave up halfway through his essay on mineral hardness scales. :laugh:

bonj2

jimboalee said:
Talc between inner tube and tyre is a no-no. Talc is a self lubricating powdered mineral. Lowest on the Mohr's scale. It will allow the tube to move around inside the tyre and the valve will become 'cocked' over. I never use the valve stem knerled lock ring because when I see the valve 'cocked' over, I know something is wrong. Out comes the tube and it is washed, along with the inside of the tyre.
I use talc and i never have that problem.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have used talc when fitting my Marathon tyres around the bead to help get last bit on and it means the difference between doing it myself and having to get someone else to do it.

Tynan

Veteran
'The little canister of talc in a PRK is for dusting the vulanising solution that is not under the repair patch.'

the kits I buy still use a little cube of chalk, where does the talc come from? it does tend to be a slight nuisance working up some chalk dust

has anyone ever got the yellow crayon to make any useful mark on the tube?

Top Bottom