Insanely expensive bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what this argument is about, but one observation i would make is that CF frames have come on a very long way. The Synapse I bought in 2006 was a dog imo and wish I had stuck with aluminium. Not the case now, and modern carbon gravel bikes are amazingly light and strong, an impressive feat really.

Alex321

Veteran
That's just a childish response for sure especially as I really like CF bikes I believe they are a wonderful creation but like any performance product its a compromise. No one is going to say Ferrari or McLaren cars are reliable or safer than standard cars its just the nature of their design, performance as a priority in design. Anyway it always feels when you get an insulting reply in a normal discussion the person receiving the insult has won the argument so thanks for that.
Any clue where tgere was an insult there? Or even why it was particularly "childish"?

The impression you had been giving was that you didn't think most carbon frames are fit for purpose. It doesn't seem particularly childish to suggest as a result that you don't like them. And certainly not insulting.

The response from Kestevan on the other hand, I could have understood you posting the above reply to that.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
What a silly argument this is. Material is a material. If the frame/fork/component is well-designed and built it will be good, if not, it won't. That's it.

Price-wise, 'expensive' is a very relative term. I personally built my bike from 2nd hand parts and love it. Cost me to under £450, but then I upgraded the wheels which took that to £950. Pricey? Maybe for some. Then again, I do have several wrist watches worth much more and they literally just look nice and tell you the time.

If you want to dish out 20k on a bike, I say do it. Treat yourself :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's just a childish response for sure especially as I really like CF bikes I believe they are a wonderful creation but like any performance product its a compromise. No one is going to say Ferrari or McLaren cars are reliable or safer than standard cars its just the nature of their design, performance as a priority in design. Anyway it always feels when you get an insulting reply in a normal discussion the person receiving the insult has won the argument so thanks for that.

Funny that, I bought a no expense spared race bike over 30 years ago, all Dura Ace, thing is it's still going strong and rides like new, so not necessarily any compromise at all.

I'm very late to an ongoing conversation, but I ride a CF mtb frame and without compromise. In fact I find CF frames stronger and more reliable having killed 2 steel and 2 alu frames through just riding. And for mtb wheels, CF every time. I abuse the heck out my CF rims getting years more use than alu ones. Plus in the event of a crash I'd much rather be inside a McLaren carbon shell than any alloy bodied car.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Funny that, I bought a no expense spared race bike over 30 years ago, all Dura Ace, thing is it's still going strong and rides like new, so not necessarily any compromise at all.

They are compromised in terms of material content and strength. in really arduous conditions a realatively heavy Tourer with a 531ST frame and more "agricultural" spec mechanicals is going to hold up better than a weight-optimised race bike made of the lightest version of 531 and a top end groupset. The reason yours is still as good as new probably has a lot to do with how you treat it and how heavily it's loaded.
You wouldn't try to plough a field with a racehorse and a cart horse is not going to win many races....

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Maybe Volvo could make carbon fibre cars and bikes eradicating the need for death by faulty frame manufacturing.....

Just a thought...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are compromised in terms of material content and strength. in really arduous conditions a realatively heavy Tourer with a 531ST frame and more "agricultural" spec mechanicals is going to hold up better than a weight-optimised race bike made of the lightest version of 531 and a top end groupset. The reason yours is still as good as new probably has a lot to do with how you treat it and how heavily it's loaded.
You wouldn't try to plough a field with a racehorse and a cart horse is not going to win many races....

Eww 531 is so common ! :laugh: Like that carbon rubbish, every Tom , Dick and Harriet has it. 👅

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Eww 531 is so common ! :laugh: Like that carbon rubbish, every Tom , Dick and Harriet has it. 👅

Don't tell me, yours is Columbus! :laugh:

Top Bottom