Insanely expensive bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Riding through crud and grit on the road will have a higher wear rate than riding the same distance in summer. Sure you can ride a superbike all year round but there's better bikes for winter. A dry bum is nice in the winter.
I cycle commuted all weather, 6000 miles a year for 11 years, and through dilligent maintenance sufferered to accelerated wear, and no damage to cosmetic finishes. None. Nada. Nowt.

Certainly some bikes may be better equipped for more comfortable for such conditions but I, and others of this very thread, have proven there is no risk of damage or degradation to even the most expensive machine if one maintains it accordingly.

It doesn't even take much in the way of time or effort. No mollycoddling, no drying off after each ride or tucking it up in bed with a horlicks and a bedtime story. Just sensible maintenance.

Actually it does not work like that.

People will always form a view. And that view is based on not how much you spend but what you spent it on. If you buy a painting with a valuation of £200k and paid £230k, that is priced accordingly. But if you bought a bike for £30K, it will naturally become a conversation piece.

And it does not matter if the bike owner is a millionaire or a salaried journeyman.

On the hand if you bought a corner cafe for £50k but it failed miserably, there is always respect for people who made an attempt to better their lives.

Humans are the apex creature because they have the ability to form opinions on information they gather better than any other creature.
For me and many other people it works exactly as I said

i‘ve opened a rehoming centre for abused carbon,

all 3 came home in bags and boxes with a story to tell, one was an insurance right off, one a failed diy build project and the other was just a bargain. I’m luckily that i don’t mind taking a punt on a bike and then putting in some work to get them right, all of mine are worth more now than I paid for them as all the parts except the wheels were second hand.

i also use and lightly abuse them, they definitely don‘t get treated with kid gloves although I do service them well. The middle bike was on a 3hr wet ride last Friday, I’m not precious about them at all and am more than happy for my children to use them when we go out on family rides.

PS don’t tell anyone in my cycling club as they all think I’m a dentist with “loadsa money” and not a serial carbon rehoming sales engineer:laugh:

i‘ve opened a rehoming centre for abused carb

PS don’t tell anyone in my cycling club as they all think I’m a dentist with “loadsa money” and not a
"Abused carbon". "carbon rehoming" sounds like virtue signalling. So I guess they are "rescue" bikes. Sounds like a plan to get my next bike that won't rattle the home front. :okay:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I’ll happily leave myself open to ridicule for what I choose to ride. I couldn’t be happier with my bike and for the mental well-being it provides me it’s actually cost effective. Cycling is a strange hobby, in that, those that buy ‘insanely expensive bikes’ are often seen as ‘more money than sense’ - whilst it’s true in my case (not because I have money but rather because I lack sense :laugh:), there are myriad reasons why others do so. I’ve received nothing but nice comments from other cyclists whilst out on mine so suspect it’s the anonymity of a forum that brings out the worst in some people. Anyway …. get ridiculing :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I’ll happily leave myself open to ridicule for what I choose to ride. I couldn’t be happier with my bike and for the mental well-being it provides me it’s actually cost effective. Cycling is a strange hobby, in that, those that buy ‘insanely expensive bikes’ are often seen as ‘more money than sense’ - whilst it’s true in my case (not because I have money but rather because I lack sense :laugh:), there are myriad reasons why others do so. I’ve received nothing but nice comments from other cyclists whilst out on mine so suspect it’s the anonymity of a forum that brings out the worst in some people. Anyway …. get ridiculing :okay:
View attachment 625076
Don't say I didn't warn you... but that is ridiculous (ly nice!) :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
View attachment 625076
Its definatley insanely black…….i like it

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
View attachment 625076
its a stunner

View attachment 625048
Here is a non bike example. If a child wants an opinion on the case of the twins who were into plastic surgery. I think it would be irresponsible of me to tell the child that it is their money and they can do anything with it. There is always a tipping point.
I really dont need any of your examles , its obvious that you cant accept that me and other people do not care what someone spends there own money one, why you find it so hard to understand I do not know ,..... or care any more.

View attachment 625076
Get rid of that garish yellow colour on the tyres. Really ruins a great bike :whistle:

View attachment 625076
Nice - but on the small chainring ? As if you ever need that ring !

i‘ve opened a rehoming centre for abused carbon,

View attachment 625032

all 3 came home in bags and boxes with a story to tell, one was an insurance right off, one a failed diy build project and the other was just a bargain. I’m luckily that i don’t mind taking a punt on a bike and then putting in some work to get them right, all of mine are worth more now than I paid for them as all the parts except the wheels were second hand.

i also use and lightly abuse them, they definitely don‘t get treated with kid gloves although I do service them well. The middle bike was on a 3hr wet ride last Friday, I’m not precious about them at all and am more than happy for my children to use them when we go out on family rides.

PS don’t tell anyone in my cycling club as they all think I’m a dentist with “loadsa money” and not a serial carbon rehoming sales engineer:laugh:
Is that a Team Ineos bike there ? Ex team or do they sell them like that ?
Nice collection but aren't they all pretty similar ?

Top Bottom