Insect repellent recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecube

This seems pretty good, bit greasy mind, but does the job for me.
41apmd1CALL._SX425_.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Wear some more clothes instead of rubbing chemicals into yourself.

You don't have to cycle in shorts and a short sleeves.

HovR

Über Member
A slightly different approach, when out in the Wilderness in the states we use a device called a thermaCELL. It's about the size of a graphic calculator and uses a small gas cartridge to warm up a replaceable scent pad, which releases a natural scent which drives mosquitoes and other creatures away.

The refills are slightly harder to find over here, but it's the best thing I've found for repelling mosquitoes - I can't recall a single instance I've been bitten since starting to use it. Not sure how well it will work for midges, but they don't tend to bother me. Best of all, no smelly DEET.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I got a bite a few months ago which turned rather large and purple. I showed it to my friend who's a tropical medicine nurse and asked her what she reckoned had done that. Her reply:
"It's not so much what bit you, as what it had been sitting on and eating just before it bit you"

:laugh::huh::scratch::sad:xx(:cry:

Cow Pie

Drink copious amount of gin and tonic throughout the day.
It worked a treat for the officers of the British Army in India.
Many died in battle and many to alcohol abuse but none have been heard to have died at the hands/mouth parts of insects or malaria after they discovered the G&T.
The enlisted men on the other hands dropped like flies (slight pun intended).
Just thinking outside the box for a more palatable solution :smile:

It's strange that you get bitten so much; I cycle very near you and don't have any problem. I would recommend riding faster and spreading the Boots own brand insect repellent on your skin, it contains DEET so it works well.
I had 100% deet prescribed by docs - issued by chemist - got bitten even more than usual, to buggery.
In Hop world 'deet' = 'salad dressing'.

Ganymede

Veteran
I would second the Marmite idea - I know people who've found this successful - or you can take Brewer's yeast (or drink more beer!).

Interesting about the inflammation that you get. I too get a long-lasting reaction to mozzie bites, and was told by my doc, when I went to Africa in November, that I should take a 1-a-day antihistamine pill, so that any bites I did get would not get itchy and inflamed, and then I wouldn't scratch and infect them. It did seem to work.

I wouldn't necessarily want to take anti-histamines long-term but certainly when you're going on a long rural ride it would be worth it.

I would second the Marmite idea - I know people who've found this successful - or you can take Brewer's yeast (or drink more beer!).

Interesting about the inflammation that you get. I too get a long-lasting reaction to mozzie bites, and was told by my doc, when I went to Africa in November, that I should take a 1-a-day antihistamine pill, so that any bites I did get would not get itchy and inflamed, and then I wouldn't scratch and infect them. It did seem to work.

I wouldn't necessarily want to take anti-histamines long-term but certainly when you're going on a long rural ride it would be worth it.
Beer doesn't work. I know. I drink plenty of the stuff and still get bitten (to buggery)....

Bodhbh

Guru
With the DEET containing repellants, just remember they're very good at trashing certain plastics and synthetic fabrics. I've not had any clothes wrecked by DEET (although I tend to careful applying in case) but when I've had a leeky bottle it chewed up other plastics in my first aid kit and the bag itself. Someone was saying on a recent thread on CTC that it will trash Orlieb panniers if it gets on em.

I've never found anything to work completely, although it's kinda hard to tell when your being eaten alive if it'd be worse without the repellant.

Top Bottom