Insect repellent recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't know what it is, sweet blood perhaps, but I am forever being eaten alive on rides, especially when I'm going slowly uphill, obliviously, or have stopped to, ahem, admire the view....
The missus doesn't suffer, but my legs look like the surface of the moon, plus my calves swell up as a reaction to the bites, making everything feel a bit tighter movement-wise.
Have tried various, but was wondering if anyone had any rock-solid recommendations... other than the obvious 'go faster'.

TIA.

Take me along - I am the ultimate midge and mozzie magnet - anyone else within 10m is perfectly safe

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've been reading (somewhere - don't ask for the links, please ;)) that increasing your vitamin B6 intake can be very helpful - which I think is where the Marmite comes in ... :hungry:

MarkF

Guru
If I get bitten, that is 2 days written off and if I am lucky only the immediate limb will swell like a balloon. Anti histamines have zero effect. The only product I've found that works for me is Autan, I won't leave home without it.

Flipside

Lifesystems Exped 100 Plus 100ml, 95% deet in this I have tried loads of insect repellents including skin so soft and this is the only one for me. Only pain is sweat with this stuff in your eyes can be quite interesting

Cubist

Still wavin'
Skin so Soft varies in make-up/ingredients, so if you're buying it make sure you get the version with citronella in it, the jojoba version may even make you more attractive! Otherwise Autan with Deet is very effective.

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

Ok, thanks for all the replies and advice. Have got boots repel, which contains deet, and i used it weds night and did not get bitten. I agree that one ride is hardly a statistical sample, but so far so good. I also take an anti-histamine post bites to stop swelling etc...

Top Bottom