Insect repellent recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butty1972

I don't know what it is, sweet blood perhaps, but I am forever being eaten alive on rides, especially when I'm going slowly uphill, obliviously, or have stopped to, ahem, admire the view....
The missus doesn't suffer, but my legs look like the surface of the moon, plus my calves swell up as a reaction to the bites, making everything feel a bit tighter movement-wise.
Have tried various, but was wondering if anyone had any rock-solid recommendations... other than the obvious 'go faster'.

TIA.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Avon Skin so Soft.

About as close to a rock solid recommendation as you'll find.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This stuff is pretty good, as you can imagine I have quite a need for it here. Available in Boots.

image.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's strange that you get bitten so much; I cycle very near you and don't have any problem. I would recommend riding faster and spreading the Boots own brand insect repellent on your skin, it contains DEET so it works well.

I am a positive banquet for all flying things, Avon skin so soft does keep a few of the beasties at bay but try drinking a large glass or two of Indian Tonic water before rides as well, the quinine you sweat out also puts the blighters off :smile:

Berties

Fast and careful!
Avon skin so soft, as good as it gets with out punching holes in the ozone or gassing yourself , used it for ages in the uk , used to be a walking lunch box for , any thing that flys and wants a resus lunch break , but no more!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
+1 for Avon skin so soft, been using it all week in Scotland along with the jungle formula if there are a lot about.
Apparently American research has shown that drinking even one beer makes you smell like lunch for biting insects for a good 12 hours.

Looks like it may be gin an tonic ftw.

The only effective solution is to make sure you cycle with someone who is better tasting (to insects) than you are. Failing that, learn to cycle faster and not to stop to admire the view... :whistle:

(We also found that have a round of sandwiches with marmite on them each and everyday whilst on tour through Scandinavia helped with the reduction in the number of actual bites - they would land on you and take off again before biting, so you still have the pester factor, just not the bites. Something to do with vitamin B levels, though it could be another of those unproven myths, but we cycled through Sweden, Norway and Finland over the course of 3 months and only had a handful of bites between us during the entire period.)

Otherwise Jungle formula...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T never gets bitten as long as I am nearby- like OldFatFool- I'm a magnet for any insect that can bite. I even have to wear wellies to cut the grass as there are insects in the grass that bite my ankles every time if I don't.... looks wierd but it's 100% effective!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mrs A_T never gets bitten as long as I am nearby- like OldFatFool- I'm a magnet for any insect that can bite. I even have to wear wellies to cut the grass as there are insects in the grass that bite my ankles every time if I don't.... looks wierd but it's 100% effective!

MR WD is like that. Bugs never bother me, but he only has to step outside the house and a gazillion of the litrle buggers are affer him. He to has to wear wellies and stuff his socks inside as well as wear jungle stuff to stop them, whereas I can stand out there and they don't touch me. Sods law :laugh: .

Top Bottom