Inspiration needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil and I need ideas, and I, at least, need inspiration.

We're looking for a touring destination for a little later this summer. She is currently working in central Ireland, so Ireland is a possibility.

The thing is, I've been looking at maps and touring blogs and so on, and there are various circular tours in Ireland, UK, western Europe and so on, but nothing that grabs me - yet.

I think we need something with an element of challenge in it. I think we'll get bored if we don't have some definite target in view, and not just returning to our starting point. Something like LEJOG (but we've done that.. and Dover - Cape Wrath doesn't appeal much). It needs to be about the same length, maybe 1000 or so miles, and not too far away from Blighty. Or even in it.

I quite fancy up the west coast of Scotland and back via many of the Hebrides, but I don't fancy the midges that will just be getting going now...

Ideas, please?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jags said:
rich p is that a tour you done in the past any more info on it .

No jags but it's a little idea I have in my head for the future! I fancy the trip down to do some whale, dolphin and bird watching coupled with a ride home. It does sound rather good doesn't it?;)

shooter560

Why not go to the USA, Arizona to be more specific, start in the south with nice dry and hot temps, head up state to say Flagstaff and see snow capped hills, take in Sedonna and red rock valley, not to mention riding round the rim of the valley, up through ranches and wonderful sights, oh and 3000ft climbs for the fun of it ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Have you considered Ireland?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Uncle Phil said:
I quite fancy up the west coast of Scotland and back via many of the Hebrides, but I don't fancy the midges that will just be getting going now...

Ideas, please?

Don't let the midges put you off. Get some Avon Skin So Soft post shower moisturiser spray and put the midges off you.

The stuff has worked well on all three visits of my visits to Scotland the most recent being a fortnight ago when i was at Knockengorroch. My pal was most impressed by the performance of the stuff.

The midges will still land on you but they take off gain almost immediately without having a nibble.

ASC1951

Guru
rich p said:
It does sound rather good doesn't it?:tongue:
It [Bilbao via Pyrenees] is good, richp. I did most of it with some friends, ahem 20 years ago - Cherbourg, over the Tourmalet and back. Brittany is a lot hillier than I expected. So was the S. Nazaire bridge!

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
shooter560 said:
Why not go to the USA, Arizona to be more specific, start in the south with nice dry and hot temps, head up state to say Flagstaff and see snow capped hills, take in Sedonna and red rock valley, not to mention riding round the rim of the valley, up through ranches and wonderful sights, oh and 3000ft climbs for the fun of it :smile:

Funnily enough, I've been talking to a guy in Arizona - I need to go there for some training with him. He says that between now and October it'll be 45 degrees plus outside much of the time, which I don't fancy... We are considering combining a business trip to Florida (it's a tough job but someone's got to do it) with the Arizona training and maybe the ABA's "Southern Tier" route in November.

I like the sound of Iceland, but we don't really have the kit for gravel roads. Another time maybe.

The other European ideas are goers - thanks for those. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Oh, we have considered Ireland. The quiet bits are nice, but rather boring. The interesting bits (the south-west particuarly) are not quiet. Or won't be by next month. We should have done that in April or May, but if you work on breeding birds, those months are kinda busy...

Thanks for all the ideas - no decision made yet, so keep 'em coming.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just been researching Iceland some more. Most of the coast ring road is tarmac nowadays it seems. Hmmm. May not be warm enough for Mrs Uncle Phil, but hmmm all the same. Flights and even ferries are encourgingly cheap too.

Hmmmmmmm.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Uncle Phil said:
Just been researching Iceland some more. Most of the coast ring road is tarmac nowadays it seems. Hmmm. May not be warm enough for Mrs Uncle Phil, but hmmm all the same. Flights and even ferries are encourgingly cheap too.

Hmmmmmmm.

Getting there might be cheap but staying there is eye wateringly expensive - £8 for a pint!

Top Bottom