Insulating the garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've spent pretty much the whole day up in the garage roof today and have finished insulating the roof and gables. Unfortunately I've run-out of foil tape so there are still a few joins to seal but otherwise I'm done above the rafters :becool:

It has already made a difference to the temperature in the garage. Normally the internal temperature tracks around 1 degree warmer than outside, but its already tracking around 4 degrees warmer and I suspect warmer still in the roof 😊

Next job is to tidy up the chaos I've created :shy:

Late to the party here but when it comes to insulation, I did my 1970s bathroom extension ( 3 exterior walls + flat roof) with 2cm thick Marmox Multiboard. 3cm is recommended but 2cm seems to work find.
It fits to brickwork easily using metal screws in plastic plugs or their plastic "nails" in plastic plugs. The board is a sandwitch of fibreglass cement facing with foam inner. The facing is ready for tile or plaster skim so may not be best if you just want a ready made surface.
It is watetproof and can be cut and shaped by hand very easily so you dont have to leave gaps.
It comes in 1.25m and I think 2.4m high boards.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
For guidance, google 'U-value' and 'interstitial condensation' ...

Thanks Archie, I was a mechanical building services engineer for a few years out of university, I've done my time calculating heat loss and rad sizing :laugh: I'm not overly concerned about interstitial condensation because I won't be heating the space apart from the very odd occasion but it is something I'm aware of and will keep an eye out for :okay: Worst case scenario is I have to take the insulation out again but I'm pretty confident it won't come to that, there are various options to try before then. I've thought about fitting a heat exchanger ventilation fan at the apex of the roof to minimise the moisture build up when I'm on the turbo but will see how I get on 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Any updates john????

Not just yet, I've got a few bits and bobs to do in order to call the roof area finished before I move on to the main walls. I picked up some soffit vents yesterday which are needed to allow airflow above the roof insulation to prevent it getting damp. I also need to finish taping the joints up there. Initial impressions are great though, the garage is already noticably warmer just from doing the roof - I put a 2kW fan heater on the other day when it was -1 outside and 0 inside, within half an hour or so it was 5 degrees in the garage and had I left it on long enough I suspect it would have kept climbing. Previously the temperature didn't change at all, so I had to run the heater constantly and stand next to it :laugh:

After this months pay hits the bank I'll look in to buying some new wall racks for the bikes then start on insulating the walls - Ive decided to tackle the garage in small chunks to minimise disruption :laugh: I'll do the bike storage quarter first and work out from there :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Small update, I've ordered some more timber which should be arriving on Monday. The bike racks arrived this morning and look the part, as soon as the timber arrives I can make a start ^_^ I haven't ordered the OSB yet simply because I have nowhere to store it except the garage where it will be in the way :laugh: I think I'll end up ordering it in small batches and accept the fact I'll be paying a bit more for delivery. I've decided to use 11mm OSB rather than 18mm which seems a bit overkill 😄

Here is my small collection of SteadyRack's, hopefully they live up to the hype but they seem very well put together at first glance 😊

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spent the afternoon in the garage today. I cleared the corner where the bikes are stored then removed everything from the wall, including all the old bike hangers. I had some timber delivered during the week that is the same depth as the battens + insulation to mount the new Steadyrack's to so I started measuring, cutting and drilling. Eventually the bikes were back on the wall in their new cradles and all the stuff that had been put out on the lawn was back indoors :laugh: I'm really pleased with the new racks - I've spaced them slightly further apart than before; combined with the extra pivot angle I've freed up a decent amount of space despite the overall width of the garage getting slightly smaller :okay:

All of the electrics still need to be moved along with the hose at the bottom of the wall which feeds a hose reel outside the garage. I might get some more done tomorrow if I get an opportunity, it would be nice to get some batons on and start putting the insulation up!

GM

Legendary Member
Small update, I've ordered some more timber which should be arriving on Monday. The bike racks arrived this morning and look the part, as soon as the timber arrives I can make a start ^_^ I haven't ordered the OSB yet simply because I have nowhere to store it except the garage where it will be in the way :laugh: I think I'll end up ordering it in small batches and accept the fact I'll be paying a bit more for delivery. I've decided to use 11mm OSB rather than 18mm which seems a bit overkill 😄

Here is my small collection of SteadyRack's, hopefully they live up to the hype but they seem very well put together at first glance 😊

View attachment 578036

They look the business those racks :okay:, but being on a pensioners budget I've had to make do with Velo Hinge racks for my project. Very happy with them though!

Top Bottom