Insulating the garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My hide out come man cave :smile:...Bikes and a couple bits of gym equipment, turbo, rowing machine, at the far end. I'm toying with either a Pottery wheel, Lathe or a Pool table at the front. Basically to try and keep it clutter free.
Nice - I like seeing these type of self build projects. It helps when putting ideas together for my own rebuild and gardens etc etc

Reactions: GM
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looks good....what you going to use it for???

sorry for derailing your thread John

Not at all, the more the better. One of the reasons I love posting in forums about these things are the great ideas other people have that I can steal :okay::laugh:

I was just about to edit my post with some. So here's a few, more as I progress!

View attachment 568212 View attachment 568213 View attachment 568215 View attachment 568216

Looks great, that's going to be a cracking space to be in when it's done :becool: I'd like to do a self build at some point in the future and skylights in a nice roomy heated workshop are now on the priority list :laugh::okay:

jowwy

Not at all, the more the better. One of the reasons I love posting in forums about these things are the great ideas other people have that I can steal :okay::laugh:

Looks great, that's going to be a cracking space to be in when it's done :becool: I'd like to do a self build at some point in the future and skylights in a nice roomy heated workshop are now on the priority list :laugh::okay:
What type of heating are you going for in the garage/workshop John??

im watching a series on Netflix at the moment called tiny house nation.....get lots of ideas from these sorts of programmes.

D

Deleted member 26715

so in the summer I will be insulating the roof from above with 25mm celotex and 12mm osb and will refelt.
Instead of felting consider the galvanised corrugated sheets, they are so much easier to use & will last a lot longer than felt. 3M x 1M ones around here are £20ish.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Nothing at the moment - I've had some timber delivered for battens, ordered some screws and the insulation should be here on Tuesday. I have a loft ladder to fit at some point too, and I'm just mulling over whether or not to reinforce the trusses before I start. I suspect I will leave them as is on the basis that nothing heavy will be going up there but will decide one way or another before I start screwing things to the walls :laugh:

jowwy

Instead of felting consider the galvanised corrugated sheets, they are so much easier to use & will last a lot longer than felt. 3M x 1M ones around here are £20ish.
i would need around 10 sheets of corrugated, then by the time you add the pins, then the ridge caps, then the moldings to stop birds, pests etc etc getting under the ridges....its just not cost effective to me

5 x 3mtr lengths of felt every 3/4yrs is way more cost effective

D

Deleted member 26715

i would need around 10 sheets of corrugated, then by the time you add the pins, then the ridge caps, then the moldings to stop birds, pests etc etc getting under the ridges....its just not cost effective to me

5 x 3mtr lengths of felt every 3/4yrs is way more cost effective
Not sure where you get 10 sheets from, you'd only need 3x 13ft/4m sheets, if it's 3.6x2.4 as you stated, but just a thought.

jowwy

Not sure where you get 10 sheets from, you'd only need 3x 13ft/4m sheets, if it's 3.6x2.4 as you stated, but just a thought.
the roof is pitched - so the length of the shed is 3.6mtrs - the roof is 2mts long x 2.4mtrs wide and theres two sections

so for one section it will be minimum of 3 sheets per roof section, with ensuring you overlap at the seems, then you will need a 2.4mtr length of ridge cap to bring the six sections together at the ridge.......so no its not just 3 sheets needed

1610628491439.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I fitted the ladder this evening. I've also finished mulling, and decided to reinforce the roof with some extra timbers.

Heres the ladder, nicely stowed away 😊

Whilst on the turbo earlier I kept looking around at the options and kept coming back to this block pier...

It's exactly halfway down the garage, but only on one side. I figured it really wouldn't take much effort to build a matching pier opposite it as I have blocks spare, so I'll bolt some wall starters to the bricks and stack some blocks up at some point :okay: I've then got some 50x150 timber left over from building the new roof, so I'll put a couple of lengths of that across between the two piers, halving the span of the existing trusses. That should strengthen it up a bit on it's own, but then I've also ordered some lengths of 70x45 (the existing truss chords are 70x30) to put an extra length in between each truss, halving the spacing from 620 to 310 centres. It's still not perfect, but it'll be a lot better than just piling things on the trusses and as I've said before, I don't intend to store much up there anyway :smile:

This causes some logistical problems as it means I need to rip the cupboards and bench out before I really wanted to in order to build the new pier, unless I can sling all the timber up first and build the pier up under it at the end :wacko: I'll have to think about it a bit more :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

the roof is pitched - so the length of the shed is 3.6mtrs - the roof is 2mts long x 2.4mtrs wide and theres two sections

so for one section it will be minimum of 3 sheets per roof section, with ensuring you overlap at the seems, then you will need a 2.4mtr length of ridge cap to bring the six sections together at the ridge.......so no its not just 3 sheets needed
Are you always this aggressive in real life or is this just your keyboard warrior persona coming through, do you have anger issues?

For explanation, each sheet is 4M long, which means even with your slope on your roof a single sheet will do both sides of the roof (if cut in the middle), they are 1.2M wide with a coverage of 1M, so will only require 3 sheets. It was only a suggestion which in future I will clearly keep to myself when you are concerned, because on all topics you clearly know best, sorry for trying to be helpful, you have a nice life now.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had an insulated garage at my last house, despite fitting an allegedly thermally efficient roller door it was still very cold in winter. I was also warned about having too much weight on the roof trusses, despite not having too much up there.

Top Bottom