Insurance Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you don't want to buy / upgrade house insurance, then specific bike insurance is probably your only option for theft cover.
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to put a £3k bike on cover with a £1000 policy limit, because if anything happens and you put a claim in there is every chance it will be declined due to being "under insured". Remember too that many household policies only cover the bike for theft, not accidental damage.

As for third party liability cover, then British Cycling membership includes this and the discounts you get at Halfords, Evans Cycles and Chain Reaction mean that you'll easily get the cost of membership (£35/year) back and more.
They also provide "special deals" for members on bike insurance: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/bikeinsurance
I've no idea how good these 'special deals' are, so like any insurance purchase you're best off shopping around.
A broker will ensure that you get the cover you need, although it may cost slightly more (but not always).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
John Lewis home insurance.

Last year we had a break in and over 5k of bikes taken. Insurance paid out in full, in cash with no quibbles.

Bikes over £1000 have to be declared, but there are no restrictive rules on added security and they were covered while in the shed.

New bikes to replace the ones taken ( 2k and 3k each) have been added to the policy at minimal cost.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
John Lewis home insurance.

Last year we had a break in and over 5k of bikes taken. Insurance paid out in full, in cash with no quibbles.

Bikes over £1000 have to be declared, but there are no restrictive rules on added security and they were covered while in the shed.

New bikes to replace the ones taken ( 2k and 3k each) have been added to the policy at minimal cost.

This.....
Just going through the same process. John Lewis cover seems excellent value for bike cover be they stored in the house, shed or in your car if travelling..

I am about to switch to them when my current homes/content policy expires in a weeks time

alicat

Legendary Member
If you want third party cover, do not get if from CTC - you'll have to become a member. You can get it from London Cycling Campaign without having to become a member and, at £9.50, it is an absolute bargain.

That IS a bargain! I'm not liking the current direction of travel of the CTC so that is definitely worth considering.

Top Bottom