Insurance Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jazz

Regular
Now then everyone!

I've been reading through the forums and seen a few things that have attempted to put me off my new venture of cycling - such as the videos of near misses from cycle cams, as well as people occasionally being hit by animals... However I still feel like I want to get right into cycling!

My question though, is this - If a cyclist does get knocked off his bike by a car at 100% fault, is it as simple as claiming off his insurance for the bike and compensation for whatever medical problems have been caused?

I'm trying to get as clued up as possible. :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It depends if the the driver stops,:whistle:

Pauluk

Sometimes its never that simple but I suppose if it can be clearly proven and/or you have witnesses then I guess its not too difficult. Having said that insurance companies will often haggle even then. Age and value of bike and its accessories, extent of injuries and the overall value of the claim can all add to the arguments.

The only time I was in an accident and it wasn't my fault I just used a solicitor to do it all and got his costs added to the claim. I'm sure that's why the offending party's insurance company didn't fight much and paid out relatively quickly.

The other side of the coin is worth you considering. That's if its your fault! You can be hit with a hefty claim and an unexpected expense of several hundred pounds (or more if you injure someone). So it would be wise for you to have insurance if you don't have it already.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Don't believe everything you read on a forum as representative, folk tend to over emphasise the negative as it grabs more attention/ sticks in the memory etc, the vast majority of journeys are uneventful.

Aye I suppose that's how it is with everything! Like the car forums I go on - it's full of people with dodgy motors because the ones who are having easy driving aren't bothered about forums haha!! Similar in a way.. Anyway cheers for the advice everyone. Does cycling insurance exist? (Waiting for the "stupid question" bell to ring now :smile:)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
There are two main types of insurance for cyclists to consider; 3rd party insurance (covers you if you damage someone else), and insurance against theft/loss. Both are inexpensive and give peace of mind.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Now then everyone!

I've been reading through the forums and seen a few things that have attempted to put me off my new venture of cycling - such as the videos of near misses from cycle cams, as well as people occasionally being hit by animals... However I still feel like I want to get right into cycling!

My question though, is this - If a cyclist does get knocked off his bike by a car at 100% fault, is it as simple as claiming off his insurance for the bike and compensation for whatever medical problems have been caused?

I'm trying to get as clued up as possible. :smile:

Dont worry about the cyclecams, you'll find that despite such occurances riders such as ourselves wouldnt ride if there wasnt anything positive in it.

There are things you can do to reduce the risk of being hit:
-get really good lights
-get cycle training (contact your council)
-refresh on the Highway Code

Also if you want protection its not so much the insurance as the legal cover you get with most memberships (CTC, British Cycling, various campaigns - these groups can also put you on to training, too) that benefit s a rider in such a circumstance.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Jazz, where abouts in Durham are you? I'm a National Standard Instructor and can give you some pointers if you aren't too far away

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Aye I think I'll have a look into the insurance like. Cheers Downfader, I hadn't been put off like haha! I think I'll get a cycle cam though, just in case owt does happen to me :B).

Andy I'm from Chilton mate. So I could get my training from you? I haven't bought a bike yet, still waiting for my car to sell!! This forum has been really helpful so far. I hope I can learn and share my info in good time!!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There are two main types of insurance for cyclists to consider; 3rd party insurance (covers you if you damage someone else), and insurance against theft/loss. Both are inexpensive and give peace of mind.
Neither of which will help the OP - who might want to think about legal expenses insurance. Having said that, most people buy it (in the form of "no win, no fee" agreements) after needing to make a claim without really realising their buying insurance.

The simple answer to the OP's question is "yes".

Pauluk

I get my 3rd party insurance with British Cycling. If its your fault you are covered for 3rd parties claiming against you. If its not your fault you get free legal advice.
For insuring your bike, if you have home contents insurance your bike may be covered but you need to check with your insurance company.

Top Bottom