Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Apparently going to drop by 20% next year.
And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle! (And not just in Scotland.)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Was reading the BBC news, car insurance up on average 40 plus percent for renewal and 50 plus percent for new customers this year

Apparently going to drop by 20% next year.

Up 100% this year for me. Will probably be going for another insurer this time. Previously I have either managed to get them to bring their price to very close of the best one I can get, or cancelled and reinsured with them as a new customer.

Ripple

Veteran
And I was moaning about my insurance ... :scratch:Not anymore.

Back in 2022 I paid £25 a month for 2003 Honda Civic. Unfortunate circumstances made me to get rid of it (I kept my mouth shut to insurance about the real reason and simply said that I sold it...nothing illegal though).

Currently I'm paying £53 (£590 total) for 2010 Perodua Myvi. Was a huge shock to see that when I had to insure the car after I bought it. Yes, I checked various insurers and £53 a month was the lowest price of all. Leeches. :angry:

Renewal is on 15th April. Got an email from my current insurer - surprise surprise - £43 a month. Same car, 6 years NCB. Though if I pay total price it would be £38 a month (£457 total so very tempted and most likely will cough it up and pay).

I checked other insurers and £43 a month is the lowest price. Others start from £49 a month to a sky high amounts. I have a 3 year medical licence so that doesn't come cheap too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine has gone up over £130. I’ll see if I can get it down at all. I did get a very good deal last year so that may not be working in my favour (nor the high number of reported car thefts in this area!)

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
We have both cars (Nissan Micra and Vauxhall Insignia) insured with Diamond. They have always had the same renewal date of 21st April.

Last year, the premiums were £400 & £579 - total £979.

This year, the quote came through for £529 &b £717 - total £1246, so a little under 30% increase.

I then phoned them to tell them about my speeding points, knowing this would raise the premium even more.

But the first thing the adviser said was "Have you thought about putting both cars on one policy? We give a good discount for that".

So I did, and after adding the extra for my points, the total still came out to less than the combined total would have been, at £1086 - only just over 10% more than last year's total. Without the points, it would have been less than last year's total.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We are paying nearly £100/month to insure a Passat and a Captur. In hindsight we should have sold my car when the insurance was about to lapse in March but we didn't have time and didn't want to rush a sale. We will definitely be selling my Passat but I'm guessing as we're paying monthly, we'll be charged a lot to cancel the insurance early.

Out of interest - does anyone know how that would work? If we paid £540 in full then we'd get back the remaining full months, minus Admin fee and early cancellation fee. But if paying monthly??

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine has gone up over £100. I’ll see if I can get it down at all. I did get a very good deal last year so that may not be working in my favour (nor the high number of reported car thefts in this area!)

Got a better quote from Aviva via quidco (£404 less £45 cash back at some point), spoke to current insurer (Hastings premier) and have added full RAC (rather than just Roadside as Fiona Fabia is coming up to 12) and have for £377, rather than initial £482 with basic breakdown. That’s fine as the RAC is probably worth north of £50 (although only added £7)
Such a merry go round as others have observed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Out of interest - does anyone know how that would work? If we paid £540 in full then we'd get back the remaining full months, minus Admin fee and early cancellation fee. But if paying monthly??

I think you lose the month taken upfront if you cancel

vickster

Legendary Member
We are paying nearly £100/month to insure a Passat and a Captur. In hindsight we should have sold my car when the insurance was about to lapse in March but we didn't have time and didn't want to rush a sale. We will definitely be selling my Passat but I'm guessing as we're paying monthly, we'll be charged a lot to cancel the insurance early.

Check your policy documents :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I'm expecting to lose quite a bit which is a given when cancelling early. We will probably look to sell in Aug/Sep and make use of the comfy car for long summer road trips

Willd

Veteran
Over the past six years mine has been £251, £255, £209, £200, £187 & £209 for a RS Megane 265. This year was the only time that staying with my existing insurer was cheaper than the price comparison sites.

However, my modest premium has been off set by paying for my daughter, who is 18 and just passed her test - £1,845 for an Aygo :wacko:

Top Bottom