Insurance, touring above 1000 metres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I checked our annual travel policy and it covers cycle touring except that personal liability is excluded. No other restrictions are mentioned. I am not concerned about third party liability as this is covered by CTC.

Obviously cycle tourists go around looking for things, people and animals to ride into.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I checked our annual travel policy and it covers cycle touring except that personal liability is excluded. No other restrictions are mentioned. I am not concerned about third party liability as this is covered by CTC.
Cool. Just remember that TP cover from CTC as-was excludes the USA and Canada. See https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/def.../guidance_note_1a_-_2017_members_guidance.pdf

Personally, I'd also suspect that any insurer excluding liability cover for cycle touring will try to avoid paying out if you're unfortunate enough to suffer other loss while touring, so I try to avoid them.

Obviously cycle tourists go around looking for things, people and animals to ride into.
Obviously. If you go to the Netherlands or Denmark, it's difficult to pick a route through all the broken street furniture, injured people and stunned animals littering the country(!)

Crankarm

Guru
I gave up insuring my bikes years ago. Waste of money. I now self insure and have very good locks where needed. I do have travel insurance which allows cycle touring no altitude restriction, only restriction is MTB downhill racing on extreme off road trails which I do not do, but for which you can pay an additional premium anyway. In Spain you are covered by reciprocal health arrangements you would have in the UK anyway under EHIC. You may initially have to pay some thing for care but you can claim it back. My bike has never suffered damage and fortunately it has never been interfered with on tour. You could always fit a tracker linked to your mobile phone if you were so worried about it's security. One end of a 50kg fishing line tied to it at night and the other to either of your big toes is a good anti theft alarm system. Some people just worry too much.

Ajax Bay

Guru
England team athletes :okay:. Those who had asthma ;) I told to get it themselves. The next stage up policy (ie above 'economy') affords medical screening.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom