insurance (USA)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LisaG71

Regular
I was curious if any riders who live in the USA pay for bike insurance?
IF yes.
who? did you go through.
advantages? To having this coverage
any disadvantages? of having insurance.

Before I take the plunge and buy a policy I thought I'd ask your opinion.

Debade

Über Member
I did not know there was bike insurance but I expect there could be. I do have AAA road assistance mainly for our car. But, they will also provide bike assistance, I think once per year. They will transport you and your bike up to 10 miles. I have never used it.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
I did not know there was bike insurance but I expect there could be. I do have AAA road assistance mainly for our car. But, they will also provide bike assistance, I think once per year. They will transport you and your bike up to 10 miles. I have never used it.

I didn't know that AAA did anything for bikes either.

I did a google search last night for bike insurance.
I got quotes from 3 companies
the lowest was 100 and the highest was over 300 (USD) . . .
So, I got thinking and thought I'd post here to see what others thought.

si_c

Guru
It really depends what sort of insurance you are looking for. If you're looking for liability insurance in case you hit a pedestrian that's somewhat different from insurance against theft or roadside assistance. Given the size of the US I'd expect that the latter would probably be somewhat more expensive than the UK, but that's just a guess. Liability insurance is probably reasonably cheap and you could probably get theft cover via your home insurance provider, but you'd need to ask.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
It really depends what sort of insurance you are looking for. If you're looking for liability insurance in case you hit a pedestrian that's somewhat different from insurance against theft or roadside assistance. Given the size of the US I'd expect that the latter would probably be somewhat more expensive than the UK, but that's just a guess. Liability insurance is probably reasonably cheap and you could probably get theft cover via your home insurance provider, but you'd need to ask.

I don't own a home.
I was looking at accident and theft more than liability.

si_c

Guru
I don't own a home.
I was looking at accident and theft more than liability.
Do you have renters insurance? That might well cover your bike outside the home - subject to certain conditions of course, like it being locked. I don't own a home either, but I'm covered by my home insurance (contents only so equivalent to renters insurance in the US as I understand it) although I do need to pay a slight additional fee to cover the bikes, but it works out about £40 per annum, so worth it for me.

I don't have accident insurance as it's not something I've ever needed, in cases where I've come off under my own power it's usually resulted in nothing more than scuffs to the saddle or handlebars. In the case of something more serious, for example being hit by a car, I'd expect their motor insurance to cover the damage.

si_c

Guru
Incidentally, this has reminded me of a recent video by former pro-cyclist Phil Gaimon.

Specific to the US, so applies to you, you can watch it here.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Do you have renters insurance? That might well cover your bike outside the home - subject to certain conditions of course, like it being locked. I don't own a home either, but I'm covered by my home insurance (contents only so equivalent to renters insurance in the US as I understand it) although I do need to pay a slight additional fee to cover the bikes, but it works out about £40 per annum, so worth it for me.

I don't have accident insurance as it's not something I've ever needed, in cases where I've come off under my own power it's usually resulted in nothing more than scuffs to the saddle or handlebars. In the case of something more serious, for example being hit by a car, I'd expect their motor insurance to cover the damage.

I actually live with a friend and he takes care of the insrance. So, it's not under my name. My car insurance doesn't cover bikes. I checked.

Top Bottom