Insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm a great believer in insurance.
My camera equipment is all insured (it is worth about 5k though!), my daughter has riding insurance (horse), so why not bike insurance?

What's best for a leisure rider?
Can someone recommend a company, as I know nothing about bike insurance....btw, my steed is ancient (about 7 years old and cost about £350 back then) and is insured for theft on my home cover anyway.

There plenty out there, and your existing home insurance may cover you for no extra cost if you give them a ring. You'll probably find that most companies will want it locked up with a heavy 'sold secure' standard lock. Alternate bike direct insurance will probably have the same lock clause but also cost x amount. For a £350 bike I would start putting away some money to replace it rather than trying to rely on an insurance company paying out.

Koga

General liability whilst using a bike on the public road is much greater risk. I checked (by telephone) and my home insurance covers this, although this is not clear at all when you read the Terms and Conditions.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
There plenty out there, and your existing home insurance may cover you for no extra cost if you give them a ring. You'll probably find that most companies will want it locked up with a heavy 'sold secure' standard lock. Alternate bike direct insurance will probably have the same lock clause but also cost x amount. For a £350 bike I would start putting away some money to replace it rather than trying to rely on an insurance company paying out.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear....my bike is insured for theft from my home address. It is kept securely in a locked shed behind a padlocked gate - oh and we have a muckle big German Shepherd too :laugh:

I was looking at more of a rider policy (for leisure/liability etc)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear....my bike is insured for theft from my home address. It is kept securely in a locked shed behind a padlocked gate - oh and we have a muckle big German Shepherd too :laugh:

I was looking at more of a rider policy (for leisure/liability etc)

If you are looking for 3rd party liability the CTC or BC memeberships include that (IIRC theres a pinned thread that probably explains it better than me) the same groups also offer extended personal cover.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Rider policy; CTC, which is cheaper if you can get it through an 'affiliate' such as a club, British Cycling with their Ride membership is also good.

Currently I've 3 lots of 3rd party insurance :wacko: ; CTC (affiliate costing £16), BC (Silver Race membership) and League of Veteran Racing Cyclists (costing £20).

vickster

Legendary Member
Third party only covers you if you damage something else, not if something damages you. Should get legal advice though

Leodis

Veteran
Got 3rd party through my cycle club membership, £15 a year gets me bronze BC membership (which I think has liability insurance). I do have full insurance for my commuter but will finish that as my bikes are locked in my house and at work in a secure area with gold locks

Top Bottom