Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hello again

Yet more advice for a returning cyclist after 35 years....

As some of you know I am due to collect my first bike after a 35 year break... now, as this has cost me a lot of money I am looking at sorting insurance out.... Evans Cycles offer there own scheme which seems reasonable to me at just over £107

It includes UK Cover, theft and accidental damage, new for old up to 3 years old and £1 Million of Public Liability and Personal accident

What do you think? Who do you recommend?

I did send Evans insurance and email but the email address seems wrong so I sent Thistle insurance who do the policy an email a couple of days ago but so far no reply, which I think is a bad sign personally :smile:

Any help as usual would be appreciated..

Stu

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't know (never had insurance) but a quick google threw up this https://www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/bicycle-insurance/ which seems worth a read.

Sharky

Guru
Been a member of Cycling UK (aka CTC) for years for their 1/3rd party insurance and accident help (have used the latter as well!), British cycling are similar.
But have never bothered to insure my bikes. Never leave them unattended, apart from when I was about 12 and my first road bike got nicked from outside Woolies. Always think if you save the premiums, you can justify buying a new bike if it is nicked.

lane

Veteran
You need to check lock requirements which can be onerous in that you have to use a lock of a certain standard e.g. sold secure gold which will be heavy to carry. This seems to be standard on all cycle insurance policies. Some house insurance will cover your bike without this requirement for example John Lewis and a few others. Read the small print. As noted Cycling UK membership includes liability insurance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
House insurance, including personal liability and legal.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, I never thought of using the home insurance, I will speak to them when the bike arrives and see what they come up with :smile:
You may well be covered up to say £500 which should be on the schedule. Might only be at home though. Check if or how it’ll need to be secured while in the house/shed/garage

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I will send them an email an see what they say, think unspecified limit on ours is about £2000 would need to check, more if specified but that will cover the bike...

May be worth getting it specified anyway...

For now I am only using it around home so it will be kept in a locked garage when not in use, but I also intend to lock/secure the bike even when in there just to be safe or extra secure..

vickster

Legendary Member
I will send them an email an see what they say, think unspecified limit on ours is about £2000 would need to check, more if specified but that will cover the bike...

May be worth getting it specified anyway...

For now I am only using it around home so it will be kept in a locked garage when not in use, but I also intend to lock/secure the bike even when in there just to be safe or extra secure..
The unspecified limit might be different for bikes so do check. Away from homemeabs not in the house so presuming you mean to ride on roads and want it covered against theft, you’ll need to check

Ref locking in the garage, get a ground anchor and a big chain :smile:

Top Bottom