Interesting find?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by Pedro_orange, 5 Apr 2019.

1. Pedro_orange

Pedro_orange Member

Hi all. I'm new to the forum after lurking for a while. Anyway I found this left out for the bin men just wondering if anyone has any info before I mess about with it. I think it's a Claud butler? It's had a shoddy brush paint job at some point.

Attached Files:

Illaveago, raleighnut and dave r like this.
  2. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Not So Special One

It’s a shame it has a ding in the seat stay, not sure it would be worth fixing up?

3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

As above and also the seat post may be stuck.
    Saddle could be worth saving though.

biggs682 likes this.
  4. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

take it to an engineering firm or frame restorer if you feel like restoring, the seat stay may be salvageable/replaceable.

Paulus likes this.
  5. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

as @Cycleops says check that the seat post is free to move and adjust fully before spending time and money

6. OP
    OP
    Pedro_orange

Pedro_orange Member

Thanks. To be fair the ding looks worse in the pic than real life. Not planning on spending much on it, just going to mess about and see if it'll turn into anything useful.

7. 12boy

12boy Über Member

That's the gateway drug right there...no I won't spend any money on parts or powdercoat, no it's just something to fool around with, no, I could always find room for another bike, and the next thing you know you have scabby old parts everywhere, you are spending your lunch money to get new parts, and having lots of fun tinkering with other people's cast offs. Go for it!

8. nonowt

nonowt Senior Member

9. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

The difference between a rideable old frame and a collectable old frame can often be seen in the rear dropouts, even on bikes lacking any badge or branding.
    Your old bike had stamped steel dropouts typical of factory frames. Custom and high end workshop frames would have used moulded or investment cast dropouts which are stiffer.

The lugwork on high end frames has handwork to clean up and blend the edges.

The finest steel frame I have ever seen was top end Claude Butler but this is not the same.

10. davidphilips

davidphilips Über Member

Centre pull brakes, shortie mud guards, brooks saddle engraved handlebars nice lugs, theres no way i would put that in a bin.

carpenter and nonowt like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Pedro_orange

Pedro_orange Member

The handlebars also have ventoux on them if that makes any difference

12. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

That sounds like a good plan to me

raleighnut likes this.
  13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

14. CBGuy

CBGuy Member

Pedro_orange,

Prugnat 62S Lugs were used by Holdsworthy on a lot of their Claud Butlers from takeover in 1959 until the mid 70's. Oiler on top of BB would confirm pre or if on bottom post 1965. Fork crown looks pre 1965. Likely 60's sometime. Could be a Challenge, Classique, Velo Capital, Velo Valentino or European. No way of knowing but if Universal 61 brakes are original likely a Classique. Does it have a Lamp boss? More pics would be good too.

Date from serial off bottom of BB or fork stem would help in searching the model.

I've been working with a couple of other fellows on Retrobike collecting Claud Butler serials in period above and so far have serials of more than 60 frames. Developed a date prediction table. If you go to my Flickr account with pics of frames you should be able to get a likely date from prediction table and from that look at relevant year(s) of Kilgariff's catalogues to better sort model possibilities.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76762476@N05/albums

Hope helps. If you are able, I would be interested in knowing number so as to add to our data.

Doug

dan_bo, uphillstruggler and biggs682 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Pedro_orange

Pedro_orange Member

It's hard to see the number on the bb due to the dodgy paint job. There's a mount on one side of the fork is that for a light?

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice