Internal vs external cabling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
Apart from the obvious aesthetic aspect, are there any real advantages or disadvantages to having cables routed internally? This is for your average non-racing cyclist.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The big disadvantage is replacing or servicing the cables.

chris-suffolk

I thought he meant that he wasn't familiar with cycle racing?

Hopefully they will clarify, but I assumed it was for the average cyclist who's not into racing, nor wants to be.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No, it's mainly aesthetic. Bikes generally just look a bit tidier / cleaner with internal cables - not necessarily better looking (that's subjecive), but tidier.
When external cabling is done well it can actually be a feature and look pretty nice in itself.

I suspect pro cycling probably went to internal cables with half a mind to aerodynamics, but then of course (like many innovations on pro bikes) it just dripped down into the retail side eventually.

OP
OP
S

Seevio

Guru
Yup, I meant for the average cyclist who doesn't take part in racing. I'm familiar with racing from a spectator point of view but my days of aspiring to competition are some way behind me.

roley poley

Über Member
I have had the exposed handle bar brake cables snag on the overgrowth of bushes on the tow path but that was my fault...prefer to see them on a visual inspection/cleaning to check all is well

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a bike with internal cabling, and the major downside for me is that on any road surface which is less than perfect (so pretty much ALL roads in this area) the internal cables annoyingly rattle against the inside of the frame. For the aesthetic gain it is not worth it IMHO; I would prefer normal external cabling.

Dan77

External cabling is more likely to get snagged on something or succumb to the elements but generally that's not much of an issue and is more than compensated for by the easier replacement when a cable does snap.

So yeah, mainly aesthetics.

Top Bottom