Internal vs external cabling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Main reason I prefer it is I feel it makes the bike easier to clean :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
PITA if they rattle and no real advantage imo.

I have a Trek Domane Disc where both gear cables are routed outside (hooray!) and the rear hydraulic line is inside but is rigidly held taut within the down tube by a natty little clamp using a ziptie where it actually enters the DT. Mercifully no noise whatsoever.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Internal cabling done badly can be a rattling nightmare however I have one bike where the rear brake cable runs inside the top tube but this isn't done simply. Someone has gone to the trouble of brazing a thin tube inside the toptube from an angled recess behind the headtube to a similar exit point just in front of the seat cluster. When I got the frame I just thought it had been drilled for the whole cable to run through but no it wouldn't fit so I got a torch out to have a peer and the hole is closed off with a 1mm hole in the centre so I poked an inner through this thinking what a hassle it could be to find the other end and tweeze it through the exit but the end just popped straight out by the seatpost so there has to be an internal 'tube' the inner runs through inside the toptube. This must have been an incredible amount of work to accomplish cos not only the oval appertures are exactly the right size to accept outer cables with a ferrule but then to have the other end finish so neatly with the same fitting is mind boggling, it must have took hours of precision work to achieve but then the 'seat cluster' shows a similar amount of attention to detail

You can just about see where the brake cable emerges but I don't have a piccy of the other side of the bike (and I'm not trying to dig the bike out of the shed at half twelve on a Sunday night)

BTW when I bought the frame it had no decals other than the 3 '653' stickers, has no headbadge or frame number so I have no idea who made it but the workmanship is superb

I go years without needing to change cables so either system isn't an issue. My CF bikes have internal cables and it is nicer to look at. My gravel bike has full external cabling with no bare wires so nowhere for the mud to get into.

I'd not choose a bike based on the cables.

Do you have any bikes with internal cables?
If so do you service or replace them yourself?

(declaration - all mine are external - see no need to change - have read a fair few posts over the years with folks struggling with internal cables)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do you have any bikes with internal cables?
If so do you service or replace them yourself?

(declaration - all mine are external - see no need to change - have read a fair few posts over the years with folks struggling with internal cables)
I have bikes with both internal and external. When I had to replace the internal cable on the Bianchi it was very easy, the port has a bung in you can remove and its very simple to pick up the inner from it, and refit the port. I had gone to the precaution of laying a piece of strong thread back through the frame as I removed the old cable, but it wasn't needed. I don't get any cable rattle either.

I also find re-cabling externally routed cables quite therapeutic, so I'm fairly ambivalent.

off at a slight tangent:
I think modern shifters that run the gear cable out under the bar tape does look marginally neater than just firing out of side of the lever, but also makes the internals more complex and prone to failure.

and even further off:
I also have a bike with friction shifters and one with an indexed bar end shifter, neither of which miss a beat. There is a bit of beauty in their simplicity. Did someone invent electronic shifting just because they could?:whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I managed to rethread my mate rear mech inner cable (105 levers) a couple of weeks back, without removing bar tape. I peeled back the hood and a tiny bit of bar tape so I could see the entry point to the outer, and gently nudged the new cable end in and bingo, pushed it all the way through. I know you referred to replacing outers, but just thought I'd share that!

But yes I agree with you, I'm sure there was gnashing of teeth!

Top Bottom