International Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
It's a bit further from Ghent than I thought. It will probably waste too much beer sampling time. Thanks though!
So... what is the verdict going to be? Going to watch the "international top-level" of cyclocross at work?

By the way when you visit Ghent, you should try Gentse Waterzooi, "neuzekes (=cuberdons)" and Roomer
Or if you don't care that much about trying the typical stuff... just indulge yourself with all-you-can-eat porc ribs in "De gekroonde hoofden (best ribs)" or "Amadeus (best condiment sauce)".

By the way... if you are into cycling (;)), you can also go to Oudenaarde ("The Pearl of the Flemish Ardennes") and visit the "Tour of Flanders centre", if you're lucky you can get a guided tour by cycling legend Freddy Maertens

If you need any more tips, let me know :thumbsup:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So... what is the verdict going to be? Going to watch the "international top-level" of cyclocross at work?

By the way when you visit Ghent, you should try Gentse Waterzooi, "neuzekes (=cuberdons)" and Roomer
Or if you don't care that much about trying the typical stuff... just indulge yourself with all-you-can-eat porc ribs in "De gekroonde hoofden (best ribs)" or "Amadeus (best condiment sauce)".

By the way... if you are into cycling (;)), you can also go to Oudenaarde ("The Pearl of the Flemish Ardennes") and visit the "Tour of Flanders centre", if you're lucky you can get a guided tour by cycling legend Freddy Maertens

If you need any more tips, let me know :thumbsup:
I had intended contacting you but not got round to it.
We are both cyclists and will have the days free to do something. Perhaps hire bikes in Gent and pootle down a canal? Lazy lunch and a Westvleteren or two.
I tried to check the train from Gent to Kokjside but got a bit confused. It appeared to say that it would take 4 hours? Does that sound right? I think I cocked up due to mistranslation!
I shall google the food you mentioned. Last time I was in Belgium, I found the food better than I expected.

The Couch

Über Member
I tried to check the train from Gent to Kokjside but got a bit confused. It appeared to say that it would take 4 hours?
No, there's something wrong there. Just checked it for you, every hour (at XX:51) there is a train going to De Panne that takes you to Koksijde (takes 1h14).
Maybe you didn't select the right train station in Ghent? (Gent-Sint-Pieters is the "main train station" that you need to select)

Perhaps hire bikes in Gent
If you're both cyclists, it might be interesting to try some of the cobblestone sections (Paddestraat, Kerkgate,..) and hills (Oude Kwaremont, Koppenberg,...) from the Tour of Flanders, but then you'll need to cycle a bit to get to the Zwalm-Oudenaarde-Zottegem area...Hell, if you're really up for it you can ride until Geraardsbergen and do the Muur as well (and have a "Mattetaart" when you're in town :thumbsup:)

I shall google the food you mentioned. Last time I was in Belgium, I found the food better than I expected.
Belgium is a culinary country, man! If you have money to spend (and at a retirement age I am assuming you do :tongue:), the "best" Belgium restaurant is also pretty close to Oudenaarde ("Hof van Cleve")...although *SPOILER ALERT* that takes money spending to another level :biggrin:... but if you are looking for more affordable great quality in Ghent itself, there is e.g. "Publiek" (combines dishes with beer), "De Vitrine", "J.E.F.", "Balls & Glory",... (and there are 3 Michelin-star restaurants in Ghent itself as well, but again... that comes with a higher price tag)

oldroadman

Veteran
Or you could take a trip to jolly old Milton Keynes. It looks like it will be Belgian in all but location. And just like Belgium there's English spoken - probably better than you'll find locally!

The Couch

Über Member
Van Aert and Pauwels split the prices this weekend (well, Van Aert didn't really split prizes since he won both on Saturday and Sunday ;))
Nys the bridesmaid in both races.

Especially in the Sunday race, it was his for the taking, but not wanting to continue the pace with Meeusen in his wheel halfway the race (letting Van Der Haar and Pauwels return) and making to many tiny errors in the final round (after putting in the acceleration that gave him a small gap) did him in in the end.

2 very entertaining races (very entertaining courses as well of course), but still I am hoping to see some more rain, mud, snow, ... in the next races, to see some more technical difficulties.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No, there's something wrong there. Just checked it for you, every hour (at XX:51) there is a train going to De Panne that takes you to Koksijde (takes 1h14).
Maybe you didn't select the right train station in Ghent? (Gent-Sint-Pieters is the "main train station" that you need to select)

If you're both cyclists, it might be interesting to try some of the cobblestone sections (Paddestraat, Kerkgate,..) and hills (Oude Kwaremont, Koppenberg,...) from the Tour of Flanders, but then you'll need to cycle a bit to get to the Zwalm-Oudenaarde-Zottegem area...Hell, if you're really up for it you can ride until Geraardsbergen and do the Muur as well (and have a "Mattetaart" when you're in town :thumbsup:)

Belgium is a culinary country, man! If you have money to spend (and at a retirement age I am assuming you do :tongue:), the "best" Belgium restaurant is also pretty close to Oudenaarde ("Hof van Cleve")...although *SPOILER ALERT* that takes money spending to another level :biggrin:... but if you are looking for more affordable great quality in Ghent itself, there is e.g. "Publiek" (combines dishes with beer), "De Vitrine", "J.E.F.", "Balls & Glory",... (and there are 3 Michelin-star restaurants in Ghent itself as well, but again... that comes with a higher price tag)
Right, The Couch, I'm going to book the train tickets to De Panne online - it appears that a weekend internet return is half the standard price although I guess I could turn up and get a weekend return almost as cheap. 13 euros online.

My son had already booked us into De Vitrine! he's a butcher and had seen that it is located in an old butchers shop. Really looking forward to the whole weekend. Good food, good beer, 6 day racing with Cav and Keisse, the cyclocross and hopefully a bike hire and ride on the Sunday.

The Couch

Über Member
Right, The Couch, I'm going to book the train tickets to De Panne online - it appears that a weekend internet return is half the standard price although I guess I could turn up and get a weekend return almost as cheap. 13 euros online.

My son had already booked us into De Vitrine! he's a butcher and had seen that it is located in an old butchers shop. Really looking forward to the whole weekend. Good food, good beer, 6 day racing with Cav and Keisse, the cyclocross and hopefully a bike hire and ride on the Sunday.
I can tell you the atmosphere in "het Kuipke" is amazing, especially in the middle part (infield?) of the velodrome. And you'll see you will be supporting the right guys, Keisse has grown up about 200m away from that track, so he'll be getting the most support, so appraisal of surrounding fans will be yours :thumbsup:

De Ketele (also a local hero) and De Buyst (probably the best rider around... but recently pretty badly injured) could be the biggest threat, but there are some other interesting duo's as well (like the Spanish world champs)

Enjoy the trip :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm sure there's another thread but this one's International Cyclocross so it'll do.

World Cup cyclocross from Belgium on in a few minutes.

What about Wout Van Aerts display of mud riding @ yesterdays Bpost Trophy event, such a great tussle between him and Mathieu van der Poel .........

Looking forward to tomorrows event..

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So how was Belgium (and how was the cyclocross)? :smile:
Belgium (and Ghent in particular) was great. Always have enjoyed my time there. We had to adjust our plans a little due to missing the early train to Koksijde. If we'd waited an hour, an hour plus journey, shuttle bus and the same on the way back, it became a non option. We ambled round the town and had an extended lunch instead. The de Vitrine restaurant in the old butcher's shop was superb.
The cycling was manic fun and the beer in the kuipke was good too! The food was appalling but hey ho!
We didn't hire bikes in the end as the cycling started at 12 noon on the Sunday, as opposed to 6pm on the Saturday. We'll certainly go again to a 6 dayer. Any views on Rotterdam, Copehagen or Amsterdam?

The Couch

Über Member
... it became a non option...
We'll certainly go again to a 6 dayer. Any views on Rotterdam, Copehagen or Amsterdam?
Shame about the cyclocross in Koksijde... the women race was very tight and Van Aert put up a real show with the pro's
(and you do need to come back to the Flemish Ardennes for some bike rides ;))

Amsterdam (from a cultural pov) is great, I can highly recommend the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum (in the first you can easily spend the whole day). The misses and myself spent about 4 days in May last year there and we had a very nice time.
And from a 6-day pov it's the 2nd best choice (you already did the best one ^_^), since Gent and Amsterdam are the most popular and viable ones.

Can't talk much about Copehagen and Rotterdam but @Delftse Post might help :thumbsup:

U

User169

Can't talk much about Copehagen and Rotterdam but @Delftse Post might help :thumbsup:

Better get your skates on if you want to catch Rotterdam - final evening is tomorrow!

It usually has a decent line-up of riders - Hoy has been the star attraction the last two years. Keisse and Terpstra seem to be the high profile team this year.

I suspect though that if you've been to Gent, Rotterdam might not be quite in the same league.

Top Bottom