INTERNET EXPLORER SECURITY ALERT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yenrod said:
A patch has been released by M.Soft !

I've had such fun using Firefox, don't think I'll go back to IE at present!

Maz

Guru
Carwash said:
From IE to Firefox? Firefox should prompt you to do that when you install. If you missed that part, you can do it again at any time by going File -> Import and following the prompts.
Cheers for that, Carwash. I switched over to FF last night and had the same query.

Blue

Legendary Member
I would suggest that all you smug FF users read the press releases about the IE patch very carefully - FF has now been left more vulnerable!!

Blue

Legendary Member
This is an extract from the press release:-

Ironically, the update also brings with it a drop in security protection for some Firefox users. The 2.0.0.19 update signifies the end of security support for the browser.

Additionally, Mozilla will be shutting down anti-phishing protections for the Firefox 2 due the Google ending support for the browser's phishing site blacklist.

Mozilla is advising any users who haven't already upgraded to the latest version of the browser to do so.

Windoze has always had security problems as soon as it's fixed its broke again ! I swapped to Linux (Mandriva Free 2007/2008/2009) using Firefox Mainly as my Windoze disk died and in no way was I going to pay their asking price. Mandriva costs nothing works very well ( as good as Windoze once your used to it) and Open office can do anything MS office can with all docs being interchangeable. Again it's free Yahoo !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Blue said:
I would suggest that all you smug FF users read the press releases about the IE patch very carefully - FF has now been left more vulnerable!!

Thats not quite strictly true though is it.

Meanwhile Mozilla has released a scheduled update for its open source Firefox web browsers for at least 10 different vulnerabilities.
The bugs in the browser could have been "used to run attacker code and install software, requiring no user interaction beyond normal browsing," said Mozilla.
It is also reissuing calls for users to upgrade from Firefox 2.0 to Firefox 3.0 as soon as possible and said it is "not planning any further security and stability updates for Firefox 2". This means Mozilla will no longer support the Firefox 2 browser against future online scams and attacks.

Maz

Guru
Night Train said:
Just switched from Firefox to Safari, it is......different.
At least it lets me on Youtube.
I'm having the same youtube problem with firefox, yet it works fine when I switch to IE7.

C'mon then, you firefox fans- give us a hand will ya!;)

wafflycat

Some of us have no choice about using Windows & IE. The business-specific software we use is Windows based and the techie-folk doing the support of said stuff point-blank refuse to support it if it is on a computer with anything other than Windows & IE...

Night Train

Maker of Things
I still have IE on my pc. Having Firefox and Safari on it as well doesn't make any difference. I just choose which to use when I browse.

I looked at the Firefox instructions for fixing the 'Youtube' problem and gave up as it still wouldn't let me download the Adobe software. Safari was fine. It needed Adobe downloading as well but with the browser off I was able to do that.

I did need to use IE to download Safari as Firefox wouldn't let me download that either.

yenrod

wafflycat said:
Some of us have no choice about using Windows & IE. The business-specific software we use is Windows based and the techie-folk doing the support of said stuff point-blank refuse to support it if it is on a computer with anything other than Windows & IE...

Exactly, so all these smart arses who go on about having FF & Chrome goddamit...

It's a web browser FFS...

:biggrin:

You'd think it was a great bike or something !

;)

D

Deleted member 1258

Using K-Melon on Windows XP here, switched over a couple of weeks ago.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

I am one of those planning to move to Linux, Ubuntu, Waiting for the disc to arrive. Going dual boot at first, but planing to move away from windows completely eventualy.

Maz

Guru
Night Train said:
Just switched from Firefox to Safari, it is......different.
At least it lets me on Youtube.
Update: I just tried following the link to the adobe flash update offered on youtube and now Firefox is working fine for me. I had to close all FF browser windows before running the .exe file, but it all works fine now.

derall

Guru
HLaB said:
Firefox is frowned upon at our work too, why?

Try putting Firefox Portable on a USB stick and runniing it from that. Whilst it doesn't work for my work set-up, I know some people have managed to get around the IE-only rule by running portable apps.

One that I can use in my work (and a browser for the truly paranoid) is Operator - Opera Portable combined with TOR and Polipo

Top Bottom