INTERNET EXPLORER SECURITY ALERT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
As I type, I am downloading OpenOffice.

Can I choose between opening/using/invoking MS-PowerPoint or OpenOffice's Impress (PowerPoint compatible equivalent)? It won't default to one or the other will it? It's just like any other software application which you can choose (or not) to fire up. Am I right?

mr Mag00

rising member
thanks barg i have d/lded VLC bye bye media player wahoooo! does that mean real player too? i hate the way bbc open real player can anyone answer that one yet?

Maz

Guru
mr Mag00 said:
welcome to the light hahahaha :tongue:

you can chose, its not a software nazi,
Done. Thanks.
Impress is mighty mighty s-l-o-w compared to PowerPoint.
It works but I'm not Impressed performance-wise.

Carwash

Señor Member
alecstilleyedye said:
get a mac

(bugger, bit late with that one)

actually, i quite like linux.

Makes sense - they're more similar than not. OS X is really just a BSD once you get past the GUI. And that's the way I like it. :tongue:

Maz

Guru
Night Train said:
I've stayed with MS office products only because I do a lot of presentations and file sharing for work. Open source is good but I have seen too many annoying failures of compatibility to risk hours of work not working when it is most needed. The worst are PP slides that don't format correctly in front of an audience.
I couldn't agree more.

Last night I used OpenOffice Impress to create a single slide, with text that 'dropped in' from the top of the page. Worked fine in Impress, but then I saved it in PPT format and all I got was a static slide.

Bit poo really :blush:. But HEY it's free! :blush:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business Edition (PC) £296.90

iWork '08 by Apple: Mac OS X, Price: £48.92

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
beanzontoast said:
There's an awful lot of people out there using IE simply because it came with their computer and they've never bothered to look for an alternative.

hmm that sounds like me. So please excuse me if this is a numpty question but if i was to install firefox for example should i then just
uninstall IE from my computer ?

Carwash

Señor Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
hmm that sounds like me. So please excuse me if this is a numpty question but if i was to install firefox for example should i then just
uninstall IE from my computer ?

No, probably not a good idea. Leave it on, just don't use it. Whether or not IE is an integrated part of the Windows OS was an important part of the monopoly case MS went through some years back... in any case, it's safest to leave it on (asssuming it's even possible to uninstall it completely), as many programs assume it's there and try to use it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm I have switched on the computer this morning... and overnight (well I was out having fun with my mates), we seem to have changed to Google - I've not got any bookmarks. I even had to type in cycle chat to get here:sad:. Does anyone know if you can copy in your bookmarks/favs?

Carwash

Señor Member
summerdays said:
Hmm I have switched on the computer this morning... and overnight (well I was out having fun with my mates), we seem to have changed to Google - I've not got any bookmarks. I even had to type in cycle chat to get here:sad:. Does anyone know if you can copy in your bookmarks/favs?

From IE to Firefox? Firefox should prompt you to do that when you install. If you missed that part, you can do it again at any time by going File -> Import and following the prompts.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Carwash said:
From IE to Firefox? Firefox should prompt you to do that when you install. If you missed that part, you can do it again at any time by going File -> Import and following the prompts.

Worked for me. Just copied everything over when I switched :blush:

Top Bottom