INTERNET EXPLORER SECURITY ALERT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've yet to come across a file from my windows using colleagues that i couldn't use on my mac. true, i need to buy powerpoint to see powerpoint files, but so does the windows box that created them.

even wma files can be converted to mp3 with the right software.

ultimately the usefulness of the computer is determined by how suitable it is for what i need to do with it, not how much it resembles everyone elses.

Maz

Guru
barq said:
Back to the Internet Explorer problem... ;) The advice at the moment is to use a different web browser until the security flaw is fixed:

Firefox

Opera
Chrome

Now is a good time to try out any of the above.
Thanks for the links. I will look into Firefox as an alternative.

Carwash

Señor Member
Maz said:
Are you cutting off your nose to spite your face, you non-Windows fellas?

I would ask the same question of people who continue cling to Windows, despite its glaring and manifold flaws and the availability of various superior (and frequently free) alternatives. They must be mad! ;)

Maz said:
The world moves on with Windows and you live like hermits not able to 'talk' to the world outside.

"Not able to 'talk' to the world outside."? What on earth are you on about?

johnnyh

Veteran
like 'em or loathe 'em, Microsoft are the major player and it isnt all that bad a product. If Linux was the big boy it would get more attacks too.

Only thing M$ could improve from my perspective would be to get rid of "patch Tuesday" and release patches as they become ready.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This is old news. Apparently someone stole Bonj's password to the CC forum 18 months ago and has been posting bollix in his name ever since.

Maz

Guru
Carwash said:
I would ask the same question of people who continue cling to Windows, despite its glaring and manifold flaws and the availability of various superior (and frequently free) alternatives. They must be mad! :smile:

"Not able to 'talk' to the world outside."? What on earth are you on about?
Calm down, calm down. Rattled someone's cage me'thinks.

I was just goading and playing devil's advocate as I am thinking of going non-Windows (or non-IE at least), but was wondering if there would be compatibility issues with people emailing me Word docs or my kids being able to do their homework on the PC then take the files on memory sticks to school only to find the files cant be read at school and stuff like that.

sheesh.

johnnyh

Veteran
in open office you can choose to save docs in various formats including MS Office variants, so no bother there.

you can generally get Linux drivers for most stuff, but the grass isnt always greener, just a different shade :smile:

Carwash

Señor Member
Maz said:
Calm down, calm down. Rattled someone's cage me'thinks.

I was just goading and playing devil's advocate

I'm calm - and I did wonder... Consider me fooled by your devil's advocate deception. :smile:

Maz said:
I am thinking of going non-Windows (or non-IE at least), but was wondering if there would be compatibility issues with people emailing me Word docs or my kids being able to do their homework on the PC then take the files on memory sticks to school only to find the files cant be read at school and stuff like that.

I can't see why there would be any problem. OpenOffice, to take one example, can read and write MS Office file formats.

Carwash

Señor Member
User76 said:
So for us non-techy chaps, I use AOL to access the interweb, so what system does AOL use as a browser? Or does it have it's own doobryfirkin thingy built in:wacko:

As far as I know, AOL uses it's own branded version of Internet Explorer. I may be wrong though...

Night Train

Maker of Things
User76 said:
So for us non-techy chaps, I use AOL to access the interweb, so what system does AOL use as a browser? Or does it have it's own doobryfirkin thingy built in:wacko:
I have AOL as my ISP but I don't use AOL software.
I installed it on my old desktop to set up the broadband and wireless but I won't install it on my laptop as it hogs too much memory and imbeds itself in everything and everywhere. It is also not removable.
I have been using IE and now Firefox to access the internet and then I go to the AOL website to access my emails.
Doesn't answer your question but may be useful to you.

Top Bottom