Internet speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
my real world max/average download speed of 1.2mbps is through the cable, yet the speed test (same cable) says 10.68mbps.

Can't comment on how much speed a modern household of multiple devices simultaneously streaming HQ content needs... but the only significant leap I've noticed was the switch from dial-up to broadband; a movie could be downloaded in hours rather than days. My broadband speed may well be five times faster than it was fifteen years ago but i don't really acknowledge it.

Just a thought on your readings, there’s Mb/s and MB/s. There’s 8 bits in one byte so one might be reporting bits, the other bytes ( there’s an overhead of checkbits etc, so 10/1 ratio is there or thereabouts)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Only rarely will you see near what your line is capable of over wifi, any wifi. Plug an Ethernet cable in to do speed tests, if you can.

i went on the braodband checker bt wholesale that tells you what the max your line can get , next door is 1 mbit less

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just a thought on your readings, there’s Mb/s and MB/s. There’s 8 bits in one byte so one might be reporting bits, the other bytes ( there’s an overhead of checkbits etc, so 10/1 ratio is there or thereabouts)

that makes sense :okay:

currently downloading a torrent at 1.3MB/s which multiplied by 8 = 10.4mbps

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We ditched landline broadband about 5 years ago. Instantly went from 3mbs average to this

4g mobile connection data sim router currently on EE

View attachment 645567

£30 a month

Might have to consider that. My virgin fibre is £30/month for the first year but shoots up to £68 after that, which I can't afford. But as there is no competition that I know of, I can't threaten to go elsewhere. Trouble is, I only get 4g at around 16Mbps on my phone so I'm guessing my signal won't be good enough for a 4g dongle arrangement

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Might have to consider that. My virgin fibre is £30/month for the first year but shoots up to £68 after that, which I can't afford. But as there is no competition that I know of, I can't threaten to go elsewhere. Trouble is, I only get 4g at around 16Mbps on my phone so I'm guessing my signal won't be good enough for a 4g dongle arrangement
4G and 5G routers are generally better equipped to pull in signal so speedtests should be much better, depending on provider. Most providers have some sort of coverage map on their site (or cellmapper.com) will let you see the local masts. Most also have SMA ports on the rear so you can add on external antenna (something I will have to do when my house purchase completes)
Moving the router 2ft across a window sill can make a massive difference so once you find a spot that works, leave it there.. I tried every window in the house and two or 3 spots on each window and ran a speed test at each to find the optimum. My new contract with 3 got me a new router too which is head and shoulders above the old one (which wasn't bad)
Farmer friend of mine has to sit in one specific place in order to get a glimpse of 1bar on his phone, middle of nowhere with no handy exchange for dsl or fibre - got him setup on a 3 4g hub same as mine - speed tests consistently around 20mb. Life changing for a pension age couple, he can now watch other farmers farm on youtube in full HD

Tenkaykev

Guru
4G and 5G routers are generally better equipped to pull in signal so speedtests should be much better, depending on provider. Most providers have some sort of coverage map on their site (or cellmapper.com) will let you see the local masts. Most also have SMA ports on the rear so you can add on external antenna (something I will have to do when my house purchase completes)
Moving the router 2ft across a window sill can make a massive difference so once you find a spot that works, leave it there.. I tried every window in the house and two or 3 spots on each window and ran a speed test at each to find the optimum. My new contract with 3 got me a new router too which is head and shoulders above the old one (which wasn't bad)
Farmer friend of mine has to sit in one specific place in order to get a glimpse of 1bar on his phone, middle of nowhere with no handy exchange for dsl or fibre - got him setup on a 3 4g hub same as mine - speed tests consistently around 20mb. Life changing for a pension age couple, he can now watch other farmers farm on youtube in full HD

The official OFCOM website has a very good coverage checker. You can select “ view on map” and put in your postcode. There’s a drop down box where you can choose the individual mobile network and it shows that networks coverage on a map. I used this to identify which network had the best coverage as locally I was experiencing a couple of “dead spots”
https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

D

Deleted member 1258

Heres mine

13184443177.png

keithmac

Guru
I'm on Virgin and it's over 100 Mbps wired and about 70 on WiFi.

Crept up to £50 a month mind so looking into the UFO Fibre, cheaper and over 500Mbps iirc. It's just the hassle of having the optical cable run.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just upgraded to full fibre as it's the same price as my old set up,gone from 15-20 to 145 Mbit .phone is connected to the router and considering losing it as everyone in the house has a mobile phone

Top Bottom