Internet speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's ours

Screenshot_20230130-070330.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20230130-072211~3.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
FTTC, Plusnet. They estimate 38-40 Mbps for my package, so I am ahead of the curve. We can easily run a couple of Teams video calls whilst my son plays Xbox online games.

1675066096996.png

We do have FTTP coming soon, by a company called Airband. Looking at TrustPilot reviews for them I think I'll give it a swerve. Plusnet has been very reliable for the several years I have been with them and the connection speeds are not currently constraining us (it makes big Xbox downloads a little long but he can learn patience!).

presta

Guru
I wouldn't pay extra for broadband unless someone can demonstrate it's actually going to be faster in practice, there seem to be far too many other candidates for slow speed in addition to the copper wire from here to the exchange.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mine's supposed to be 75Mb, so no complaints here.
That’s what I had before the full fibre was installed and it was fine. I now get 10 x that speed. But, I’m not sure I notice that much other than fewer outages when video calling. Ours was only a couple of pounds more on offer, so certainly worth it. Depends a lot on your usage, folks playing games or downloading Netflix might have more to gain.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't understand how some people have faster upload speed than download? Every conenction I've ever been on (work, home, 4g, 5g) is always 5-8x faster download than upload. Currently I get 250down and 30 up. Before having virgin fibre I was on 16 down and 4 up.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't understand how some people have faster upload speed than download? Every conenction I've ever been on (work, home, 4g, 5g) is always 5-8x faster download than upload. Currently I get 250down and 30 up. Before having virgin fibre I was on 16 down and 4 up.

We've had B4RN for over 2 years now - fibre to house, 1Gb at router and the upload has always been faster than download as per post #201 when using a mobile phone.

Just checked on laptop, 35' from router wireless, Down 352.74 Mbps Up 177.50 Mbps. Oopla used to test.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I've just tested mine again and got 6.76Mb/s, exactly the same as yesterday, which is a surprise. I once spent a whole afternoon doing repeated tests, and couldn't get consistent results, even using the Ethernet cable. (It cost me a fortune, I was on metered broadband at that time.)

1675181387232.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm with Zen FTTC. 68Mb down 18Mb up. The router they supplied is a " Fritzbox " It has built in DECT so my existing Panasonic cordless phones are connected to it. Theres FTTH cabling that has recently been laid along the road by CityFibre, due to go live later in the year. I'll probably give it a miss as the current set up is more than adequate for our usage especially after having seen some of the Virgin Media subcontractors local bodge jobs.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've just tested mine again and got 6.76Mb/s, exactly the same as yesterday, which is a surprise. I once spent a whole afternoon doing repeated tests, and couldn't get consistent results, even using the Ethernet cable. (It cost me a fortune, I was on metered broadband at that time.)

View attachment 676289

That's pretty miserable - no fibre at all where you are?

vickster

Legendary Member
Wifi via phone just now, 150MB package. Currently not paying anything as got 5 months free when I switched from Virgin (£17.99 for the next 19 months. Can’t complain :smile:

60A4A328-CD68-4B78-839D-F2E19DEEC9A9.png

Dag Hammar

Grrr ! Never mind the speed, has anyone else tried getting through to Virgin Media when they have a fault ?
I am experiencing a service problem at the moment and I’m finding it extremely frustrating in my attempts to actually talk to someone.
No doubt when I eventually get the problem resolved I’ll receive messages from them with a survey asking how well they did 😡

vickster

Legendary Member
Grrr ! Never mind the speed, has anyone else tried getting through to Virgin Media when they have a fault ?
I am experiencing a service problem at the moment and I’m finding it extremely frustrating in my attempts to actually talk to someone.
No doubt when I eventually get the problem resolved I’ll receive messages from them with a survey asking how well they did 😡

Have you checked online if they’re aware of a fault in your area?
If there isn’t, I found turning the Virgin router off for a while and rebooting fixed most outages!
Also, do they have online chat rather than just phone support? Can be quicker

Top Bottom