Inverness to John o Groats on A9 ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/inverness-to-john-o'-groats

Obviously, that is the more common line of attack for cyclists. I've never done either on a bike so I'm not going to comment on safety as everyone has a different opinion, but the A9 is not somewhere I would like to be on a bike.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
used it last year from jog to ardullie just because it had been raining 5 days in a row and i just wanted to take the route that took less thought ! there are a lot worse roads out there and i didn't really notice major traffic although if the mood was better then i think i would have chose a better route - in my opinion there are some of the best roads in the uk north of inverness but the a9 is not one of them - its got the 2 hills that are highlights the a9 from latherton to thurso was just dull - not much traffic but nothing else either
i must admit i once went across the bridges to inverness and i don't want to do that again - that was too narrow and fast traffic . much rather go round beauly firth

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
used it last year from jog to ardullie just because it had been raining 5 days in a row and i just wanted to take the route that took less thought ! there are a lot worse roads out there and i didn't really notice major traffic although if the mood was better then i think i would have chose a better route - in my opinion there are some of the best roads in the uk north of inverness but the a9 is not one of them - its got the 2 hills that are highlights
i must admit i once went across the bridges to inverness and i don't want to do that again - that was too narrow and fast traffic . much rather go round beauly firth
The Kessock bridge has a cycle path.

I've done it a couple of times now on my bent trike heading south from JoG.
Heading north I'd stick on the cycle track/back roads until joining the A9 at the Tore roundabout if your not going via the Nig ferry.
Then it's just a busy A road heading north.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Will be traveling in July (not school holidays).
All Scottish schools (barring a few private schools) finish up at the end of June and return in mid August; so the holiday period includes the entire month of July. That far north though, I don't think it will make a lot of difference. Personally, I wouldn't use the A9 for the Inverness to JoG sector as it is the route of choice for all HGV traffic heading north and south to/from the extreme north. You wouldn't think there would be much, but there are supermarkets, fish lorries, Dounreay power station decommissioning traffic, and the Orkney ferry.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
It's just so, so much nicer to head up via Altnaharra, Strathnaver and the coast road.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Yeah, I think it's fairly common for people to underestimate just how exposed it is on some sections.
you telling me ! i was up there during a storm last year - 50mph gusts - bowled me over like a empty carrier bag ! only shelter was a bus shelter and as i got close to it , the roof just peeled back !

Am curious as to why you would much prefer the A9 to NCR 1, which I have cycled.
I've also done both.

It's around 30 miles shorter and 1,000 feet less climbing along the coast against going by the inland route.
It can get busy with big stuff but then again it's not that narrow/twisty to make it unsafe to cycle on if you're ok with big stuff.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's just so, so much nicer to head up via Altnaharra, Strathnaver and the coast road.
Some would say there is nothing to see going that way, just hills and heather, but it makes a change for people not used to hills and heather^_^.
I would not consider using the Inverness to Tain section of the A9 as I simply find it unpleasant due to motorised traffic. There are one metre strips on parts of the route which make it feel safer, but not throughout, however there are viable alternatives.
North of Tain the motor traffic thins out a bit, but it's difficult to advise others if it thins out sufficiently:smile:. I prefer the coast road myself because it passes though communities where you can take a break and have a look around.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's just so, so much nicer to head up via Altnaharra, Strathnaver and the [north] coast road.
This.
I prefer the coast road myself because it passes though communities where you can take a break and have a look around.
The communities of Dingwall, (back road to) Alness, Ardgay/Bonar Bridge (via B9176), Lairg (via back road from Invershin) and Tongue/Bettyhill and then Thurso offer plenty of similar opportunites, without the trunk A road (A9) disadvantage.
If the wind's blowing a hoolie, both routes have, perforce, sections which are exposed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom