Inverness to John o Groats on A9 ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The road up through Altnaharra is an absolute cracker. Can't imagine why you'd want to miss it. The long climb from Lairg past the Crask Inn, then the descent to Altnaharra, and the rolling road up to Tongue... lovely. It's only the last stretch along the north coast that's a bit meh.

I haven't ridden the A9, but I remember looking out of the coach window on my way back down to Inverness from John O'Groats and thinking I was glad we didn't go that way.

Would also recommend taking the old military road from Fort Augustus along the southern side of Loch Ness, rather than the A82.

Last edited:

Mini58

The road up through Altnaharra is an absolute cracker. Can't imagine why you'd want to miss it. The long climb from Lairg past the Crask Inn, then the descent to Altnaharra, and the rolling road up to Tongue... lovely. It's only the last stretch along the north coast that's a bit meh.

I haven't ridden the A9, but I remember looking out of the coach window on my way back down to Inverness from John O'Groats and thinking I was glad we didn't go that way.

Would also recommend taking the old military road from Fort Augustus along the southern side of Loch Ness, rather than the A82.

Yip I could not agree more: I stayed overnight B&B in the Crask inn very nice. Tongue is also worth the stop and don’t cut the corner to Bettyhill. In my opinion

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Nothing wrong with the A9. Traffic north of Inverness is light, and the scenery is great (well, the last few miles into JO'G excepted). There are two huge hills (Helsmdale and Berriedale).

Top Bottom