IP addresses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You know like when Admin bans someone for misbehaviour, the miscreant quite often tries to register under another username, but find they can't because their IP address has been barred. How does this work? I thought your IP address was allocated to you temporarily by your ISP when you fire up your internet browser. If I was to get myself banned on my home laptop, could I still re-register on my home PC? If not, could I re-register on my work PC?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...:biggrin:

Some people have a static IP address (doesn't change), some get a new one each time (dynamic). You'd be surprised how easy it can be to spot someones posting style, even with a different user name. Put it this way, if you got banned, registered a new account from a different PC and carried on posting in the way that got you banned in the first place, you'd probably soon get recognised and banned again.

TBH, it's quite hard to get banned from here. Unless you're a spammer, then it's pretty easy.

snakehips

I am surprised how long I have had the same IP address on my home system. Despite turning off my equipment at night I get allocated the same address in the morning. I know IP addresses can be allocated for a certain length of time but I thought a public service provider would keep this period short.
Another thing that intrigues me is use from the workplace. You might get thousands of PCs all with the same public IP address when working through a firewall with network address translation. If you barred that IP address you would block everybody.

Snake

My Library

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I believe that terror groups are good at "going invisible" on the web. Hop on a plane to Pakistan and take a bus up to the Tribal Territories. Ignore the odd missile strike from a US drone. There is an IT man up there who is seriously good. Getting back on CC is worth the trip. Bon Voyage.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
snakehips said:
I am surprised how long I have had the same IP address on my home system. Despite turning off my equipment at night I get allocated the same address in the morning. I know IP addresses can be allocated for a certain length of time but I thought a public service provider would keep this period short.
Another thing that intrigues me is use from the workplace. You might get thousands of PCs all with the same public IP address when working through a firewall with network address translation. If you barred that IP address you would block everybody.

Snake

My Library

I'd have thought this too, especially as we're supposed to be running out of IP addresses, at least until IPv6 becomes commonplace.

Manonabike

Über Member
HLaB said:
I think there's ways round the IP address so you can surf anomalously.

I think you mean staying invisible by using a proxy server. Basically you connect to a proxy server somewhere in the world and adopt the proxy server's IP address.

A few years ago I tried this to see the Belkins webside. For some reason I could not see the website and I found out that my ISP, AOL at the time, was the problem. I figured the problem was the IP range AOL used so by going through a proxy server I managed to download some drivers :laugh:

IP addresses are allocated to ISPs and they subdivide them by regions, towns, exchange, etc.

on the road

Über Member
Proxy server.

barq

Some of the web proxys are very well known and some forums ban anything coming out of them. I VPN a certain amount of data out via a server I rent in a French data centre, it seems to be red flagged with all sorts of forums. Their IP range is widely (ab)used by P2P users so I suspect it may be on some list of potentially dodgy IPs.

But dynamic IPs can be surprisingly 'sticky' despite modem reboots and suchlike.

Top Bottom