ipad release delayed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-HO

I'm sure the market for replacement screens is going to be great for these.

It slipped out my hand - Screen broken

I sat on it - Screen broken

I thought it was a placemat - Screen broken

Unless of course, its sturdy enough to take a bullet, but thats a whole other market for Apple.

mangaman

Andy in Sig said:
Before you all rush off and order one you might like to know that a Berlin firm will be releasing its own version in the next two weeks called the WePad. It has two USB ports and I believe the screen is a bit bigger. It is Linux and Android based (which will probably mean something to you lot but means nothing to me) and because it can take a keyboard and cope with Office documents, I'm thinking of getting one because it will meet all my computing needs. Oh and it will be cheaper than the ipad with the dearer version coming in at 569 Euros.

Andy - I love the sound of the WePad.

Although the whole concept of an object the shape and size of an ipad seems pointless (why not get a portable and useful i-phone or a still quite portable and more poweful notebook?) the combo of Android and USB (ie PC compatability) seems much better.

I have a new Motorola Dex phone which has Android and a USB port, and as a Google user - I have Google mail / docs etc my phone is really the only device I need. It even acts as the remote for my music system.

As for Apple - as "Public Enemy" sung once - "Don't believe the hype"

Norm said:
It appears that Apple are still being overly secretive and protective

Still? It is what their entire business model is based on.

Apple : 'we don't want Flash apps on our phones.'
Adobe: goes off and writes a program to convert Flash apps to non-flash so they run.
Apple :'we don't want developers to use conversion tools, only pure code hand written from scratch'
...Adobe and lots of developers go off and sulkplot revenge.

With large swathes of the internet being made out of Flash, I think that Apple may be starting to chew on the hands that feed them, but we will see...

PBancroft

2Loose said:
Still? It is what their entire business model is based on.

Apple : 'we don't want Flash apps on our phones.'
Adobe: goes off and writes a program to convert Flash apps to non-flash so they run.
Apple :'we don't want developers to use conversion tools, only pure code hand written from scratch'
...Adobe and lots of developers go off and sulkplot revenge.

With large swathes of the internet being made out of Flash, I think that Apple may be starting to chew on the hands that feed them, but we will see...

To be fair, Flash can be rather resource intensive. Many of the apps created for iPhone OS are made by amateurs whose top priority isn't going to be the impact their app has on anything else which is running (multitasking only just now being added) or even how their own app might run on different devices.

I think Apple are trying to protect themselves from the fallout of perceived "slow" devices actually caused by badly made applications. Yes, I think that they go overboard on the control they demand, but I see their point.

Oh if it was just that logical and straight forward Kaipaith.

The contradiction is that it doesn't make sense to ban flash based applications and then still allow it via Safari or Opera and the interweb.

Any sane developer will just embed it in a web page and therefore bypass the iphone store and any potential monetary cut for Apple. Because of this, it just seems to be a bit of a 'dummy's thrown out of the pram at dawn' style moment to me.

heard on the news today that the apple store in bristol was opening an hour earlier today to sell their £429 ipads.

i don't think they're going to be getting the sort of influx and sales they expect somehow.

Top Bottom