ipad release delayed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
My daughter got one on Thurs, they didn't have any in Chichester so she had to head over to Brighton to get hers. She loves it, I also had a go on it today, I liked it but I'm not 18 like her and I'll wait until the price comes down.

woohoo

Veteran
The Jogger said:
My daughter got one on Thurs, they didn't have any in Chichester so she had to head over to Brighton to get hers. She loves it, I also had a go on it today, I liked it but I'm not 18 like her and I'll wait until the price comes down.

The price probably won't come down much, if at all, but the spec will go up e.g. next generations will/may have more hardware e.g. camera and software upgrades e.g. multitasking (when they release OS4) as standard.

Similiar multitasking machines are on the way from other manufacturers, I presumed they would run some version of Android, but it looks like a special version of Ubuntu will be one of the options. I guess these will be mostly generic branded and a lot cheaper for it....patience is a virtue as they say.

Debian

woohoo said:
The price probably won't come down much, if at all, but the spec will go up e.g. next generations will/may have more hardware e.g. camera and software upgrades e.g. multitasking (when they release OS4) as standard.

iOS4 does not have multi-tasking anyway, not in the generally accepted sense of the word.

Not that I care.... I've just blagged myself a free iPad :thumbsup: ;)

woohoo

Veteran
Debian said:
iOS4 does not have multi-tasking anyway, not in the generally accepted sense of the word.

Not that I care.... I've just blagged myself a free iPad :thumbsup: ;)

Agreed but it will allow concurrent use of Mail and Safari which is probably what most of the target users need/want.

I've had a play with one and actually quite like it, very slick. I also, sort of, get it. It's an internet enabled coffee table magazine. A lot of other people like it or they wouldn't be flogging so many of them and have so many other companies about to jump on the bandwagon.
As I said, I like it, but I think the novelty would wear off and I'd end up wishing I'd bought a netbook (which I just have - msi wind U230 :rolleyes:)so for me it's just far too expensive.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Over The Hill said:
A keyboard perhaps?

It looks OK for wasting time playing but really not up to much if you actually want to produce someting useful.

I am not a fan of 'i' Anything and believe its all form over function with apple, but they do have one thing right, Keyboards are a thing of the past

Touch screens and smooth tablet stlye input tools will be the future. The ipad is a stepping stone for apple, a test bed for something bigger and better (well something slimmer and prettier, not necessarily 'better') we will get in the next few years.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I dropped in to my local Apple Store last Friday and tried one out. Very nice it is too. Looks fab, virtual keyboard good and, if you're already a Mac user, Mail & Safari will be a doddle to use (they will be even if you aren't a Mac user). Personally, I can't justify that sort of spend at the moment but it's very alluring.

Jezston

Über Member
Piemaster said:
I've had a play with one and actually quite like it, very slick. I also, sort of, get it. It's an internet enabled coffee table magazine.

In that case I'd imagine they would be great, if they had a lovely proper e-ink display rather than a ghastly backlit LCD display.

And they cost under £80.

Right now they are just a very pretty and clever gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

Top Bottom