iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
Just checked what Ruy lopez meant, and I think thats the five moves one?

No, it's an opening where you start by moving the king's pawn, then bringing out your knight and bishop, and apparently traditionally countered by the Sicilian Defence:wacko: - good explanation is here. There is a hell of a lot to learn with chess, probably more than a lifetimes worth but I hope I can stick at it 'cos I'm enjoying it so far.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This thread was about Apple products and now it's just geeky nerd stuff.

col

Legendary Member
No, it's an opening where you start by moving the king's pawn, then bringing out your knight and bishop, and apparently traditionally countered by the Sicilian Defence:wacko: - good explanation is here. There is a hell of a lot to learn with chess, probably more than a lifetimes worth but I hope I can stick at it 'cos I'm enjoying it so far.
It was the first few moves that made me think this was it. Iv never actually learned other tactical combinations, just moved as and when I thought, thats maybe why I rarely win^_^
This thread was about Apple products and now it's just geeky nerd stuff.
Sometimes geeky nerd stuff is fun:thumbsup:

col

Legendary Member
Its not me thats getting it, my wife and son are both getting me one for my fiftieth in a few weeks.^_^ So looks like it could be a deal on the earlier ones too?

Look at MiFi as this is the best way to sort out connection to the Internet.

Up to 5 devices connected and cheaper than upgrading to the 3G on Ipad

If you go for the "3" version, don't go on contract, just buy preloaded SIM cards fro Aazon, slashing the price of the PAYG service.

Ethan

With the Apple it seems they do a new device each year, whereas some of the Android one's seem to bring out new versions before the existing version has hit the shelves. Latest Android operating system is only just hitting some devices now, but the next iteration is already being trailed for Autumn this year.

You shouldn't compare android and apple in that sense.

Many of the larger hardware manufacturers using android have a product line up that changes at roughly the same pace as apples stuff does.
HTC for example, while they offer different ranges of phones, only tend to have a big over hall every year.
HTC tend to have 3 or 4 phones worth note per year.
One cheap and cheerful handset, pretty basic, low powered and small screen.
Then they offer mid range handsets.
Then a top of the range flagship phone.
They just let the 'one' series out of the bag, which will be replacing the current line up.
The HTC one V, one S, one X. The one X is the new flagship phone due to be on sale in late april, replacing the HTC sensation which was released in late april of last year.
The sensation is a bit of an exception to the rule though, it had an XL and XE version (XL being less powerful, larger screen. XE being more powerful with fancy headphones and colour schemes)
samsung do a similar thing.

That is the beauty of Android, due to it being open source it can be manipulated to suit different needs. Having said that, its open sourcey-ness is one of its problems.
I do agree a new flavor of android comes out to often. My sensation XE hasn't been updated to ice cream sandwhich yet (not officially, anyway.) and the talk of a new OS already on the way is slightly annoying.
I find android can be very simple, or stupidly complex depending on how you want to see it.

Anyway, what do you think of the new iPad? Im pretty disappointed to be honest - I expected more of an upgrade!

I'll only get one if it'll make toast.

My phone gets hot enough to make toast sometimes.

Thats what happens when you shove a 1.8ghz dual core CPU in a phone though, isn't it!

Doseone

Guru
Anyway, what do you think of the new iPad? Im pretty disappointed to be honest - I expected more of an upgrade!

Agreed. I was a bit underwhelmed. New retina display, better camera (who really uses the camera on a tablet anyway??), strange name!

The base model is still £399 so I guess buyers will be happy.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and I love it. It just works and the size is perfect for me. Runs Android 3.2 - I have no probs with this OS, it's simple, works well, nicely customizable and looks good. Upgrade to ICS is on the way apparently.

Doseone

Guru
David have you upgrade to Android 4 Ice cream sandwich, did my tablet last night and its now running quicker more smoothly and video is greatly improved

What tab have you got Brewer? Is it an official ICS update? Nice to hear ICS is being rolled out now. Like I said above, I have no issues with Honeycomb but if there's an upgrade to be had might as well have it^_^

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Agreed. I was a bit underwhelmed. New retina display, better camera (who really uses the camera on a tablet anyway??), strange name!

The base model is still £399 so I guess buyers will be happy.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and I love it. It just works and the size is perfect for me. Runs Android 3.2 - I have no probs with this OS, it's simple, works well, nicely customizable and looks good. Upgrade to ICS is on the way apparently.

How much was the tab ? I have HP Touchpad at the moment which I got when they sold them off but I think I am going to put it on ebay as never really use it but I might use an Android tablet as I can use all the apps I have already bought for my phone.

I just got a new HTC Desire S and I am loving Android now that I have a bit more speed and memory (I had a wildfire before) I have dumped my Blackberry (RIP Blackberry in the near future I think) and I have no regrets it is excellent and so flexible :thumbsup:

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
no i havnt mate,how do you do it?

Click on settings, scroll down and click on About tablet, you then should see an option to search for firmware upgrades.
It was easy and painless, you just need it plugged in charging before you start with a good wifi signal.

hope this helps Sean

Top Bottom