ipads - What can you do with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Asus have a rather spiffy tablet themselves - the Transformer Prime. It has the advantages of coming with an integral docking station/keyboard, and without expensive 3G.

Guess what I'm writing this on?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Asus have a rather spiffy tablet themselves - the Transformer Prime. It has the advantages of coming with an integral docking station/keyboard, and without expensive 3G.

Guess what I'm writing this on?

Apart from UK customers being slightly shortchanged for the wait for the TF700, that's an excellent model - if you got the TF201.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just been given an iPad at work, also have an old laptop and a desktop. Don't use the laptop as its badly configured by IT and you can't connect to any network point without the docking station.

The iPad is useful for email on the move, as I'm on a number of sites, it's easier than a blackberry. It's also good for viewing meeting papers without printing them out, saves me a load of space, and it fits neatly in my pannier. The laptop was way to big to transport on the bike. Advantage is I can bring it home and use the Internet on it without using the pc or laptop.

david1701

I pretty much always have mine on me, its great for reading books and blogs (I wish google reader accoutns were supported natively....) and for sharing photos ect and anything a smart phone is good for in that line really. Its exellent at email, mine handles 12 email addresses and is much much slicker than thunderbird on my laptop (I wish you could configure separate signatures for different addresses though). Its an excellent web browser for when you're on the sofa ect.

I'm a photographer so I have a few photographic apps too, photosmith lets me import and tag pictures on the ipad while out and about then sync those over to lightroom when I get home (coming soon support for working directly with wireless file transmitters/cards in camera) and lrpad which lets me use the ipad as an input panel, and air display which lets me use the ipad as a secondary display for a computer

I also love airplay as I use an xbmc media machine in my office (and long term everywhere in the house) which supports it and lets me stream music / youtube to the speakers/tv. Also xbmotec which controls xbmc and I'm working on understanding comand line control so the remote ssh app too

oh and its loads lighter/smaller than a laptop for bringing home, a small satchel will fit tools lunch and an ipad whereas my laptop meant a heavy bag or something on the rack

david1701

I have one and it's an awesome piece of kit. I do everything on it. I use it for work and if can cloud base your storage it'll change the way you do everything.

I even code on it.

Matt, how do you work documents, I can't really get my head around google docs for everyone to use in the house and I haven't cracked a good way to work offline on the ipad with them either?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Matt, how do you work documents, I can't really get my head around google docs for everyone to use in the house and I haven't cracked a good way to work offline on the ipad with them either?

I use officeHD a lot, (you can copy cloud files to local storage) it's not brilliant at some word formatting though, but I normally work on spreadsheets. Dropbox is what you need for cloud storage, once you do that iPad comes alive. I do also use my iPhone to tether to in the event of no wifi.

defy-one

I use officeHD a lot, (you can copy cloud files to local storage) it's not brilliant at some word formatting though, but I normally work on spreadsheets. Dropbox is what you need for cloud storage, once you do that iPad comes alive. I do also use my iPhone to tether to in the event of no wifi.

I have a ipad and iphone - how do i tether them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I have a ipad and iphone - how do i tether them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create a personal hotspot with the phone, then just link your wifi to it. You'll need an iPhone 4 or above to do it natively, or you can use an app if not (which might require a jailbreak)

david1701

Will go play, cheers

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had one for a while but sold it to my mum when HMRC reminded me that paying tax isn't a life choice.

I don't really miss it, that being said when our big home desktop computer craps out I doubt we'll replace it with another desktop when a tablet will suffice.

For years I very firmly maintained that I would never, ever, ever, under no conceivable circumstances, definitely wouldn't buy anything made by Apple. Overpriced, overhyped sh*** that wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. None of my highly expensive noise analysis software will run on a Mac, nor will any of my noise meters connect to one.

BUT.......I'm writing this on an iPad 2 because I was visiting a friend who had one and decided to give it a go. Ok, it doesn't do everything I could want and I won't use it for work, but as an email client and for web access I can't fault it. The main advantage is that it's compact and flat so doesn't seem to intrude into my personal space the way a laptop does. Also Brilliant for Skype and displaying photos. I found a dirt cheap SD card and USB camera connector on Amazon, so I can download images from my Lumix with no hassle. Didn't bother with the 3G option, if I want a mobile Internet connection I can set up my HTC Desire as a local hotspot.

Overall I find it much more convenient than a laptop for the domestic type stuff but largely useless for my business, although some sectors may find more value in it. The only real disadvantage I can see is that it's made by Apple.....

Gordon

Top Bottom