ipads - What can you do with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
For whatever reason my employer has just given me an ipad, I already have a perfectly good laptop (also provided by my employer) which seems to do everything the ipad can, and a lot more, however lots of people seem to be buying ipads, so they must have some benefit, does anybody know what those benefits are, not trying to pick faults in the ipad, just want to know if there is any real benefit to spending time to learn about it.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Accoding to watchdog you can possibly cook an egg on it if its the new one!

to be fair the only thing the ipad gets used for is videos and games! however some of the arty stuff is meant to be good and loads of apps for email etc that will store your info so no real loggin times

Doseone

Guru
It can do most of the things that your laptop can with the exception of the "heavy lifting". If you wanted to edit video or run adobe CS5 to it's full extent then you would probably need to look elsewhere. It won't be as good for typing.

For consuming media you'll probably find it a lot better than your laptop. Read a newspaper on your tablet and then on your laptop and you'll see what I mean.

Do you need to use MS office for work? You may need some workarounds with the Ipad if you do. It's far more portable than a laptop.

And Angry Birds is fun too^_^

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
I don't watch videos or play games very much, one thing I need to use my laptop for is autocad, I know there is an application that runs autocad on the ipad, but I'm not sure quite what it can do and autocad is much easier to use with a decent mouse. I don't tend to read much on my laptop, I prefer proper books and magazines (you can read them in planes when the seat belt light is on, I understand this may change), but I do know what you mean I have used the ipad to read a couple of technical documents, and it was easier than the laptop.

I do need MS office, excel, word and power point.

I have a fairly small laptop, so although the ipad is more portable, carrying my laptop isn't the biggest problem, I don't really want to carry both, mainly as it would be one more thing to take out of my bag at airport security.

Is there anyway around the lack of USB or other connection, being able to share large files quickly with memory sticks is really useful in meetings.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

caimg

Über Member
1) Tell us you have one.
2) Tell your friends you have one.
3) Buy the tea shirt.

4) Hide it away until iPad 4 comes out

Repeat.

This. One of the important things about owning Apple products is having other people know you own them.

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
This. One of the important things about owning Apple products is having other people know you own them.

Unfortunately I am aware of that and it does put me off them a wee bit, I'm not a fan of the whole apple brand thing, however I do think I'm missing the point somewhere as the people who have bought them can't all be numpties who fall for any old marketing hype, although I am struggling to see the ipad as anything more than a very expensive Kindle, hence the reason for this post. Right now I think it will stay in the cupboard, and I'll just travel with my trusty old laptop.

caimg

Über Member
Unfortunately I am aware of that and it does put me off them a wee bit, I'm not a fan of the whole apple brand thing, however I do think I'm missing the point somewhere as the people who have bought them can't all be numpties who fall for any old marketing hype, although I am struggling to see the ipad than anything more than a very expensive Kindle, hence the reason for this post. Right now I think it will stay in the cupboard, and I'll just travel with my trusty old laptop.

In all seriousness...what it does, it does very well. Great screen, great at media, app store is great. If you're in a creative industry (I'm a musician) then apple products are great. If you're not in the creative arts so much and if you're not into games, it doesn't leave much tbh!

Top Bottom