iPhone or cycle computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firm Button

hi peeps,

I want to be able to plan a route just by touching a screen in a few places and then return home. I have an iPhone 6s+ in a topeak case on my bars, which works well for tracking my route, heart rate etc. But I want it to show me directions and a map up front at the same time. Can anyone recommend any apps that work well at this task or is the best option going for an cycling computer?

Ta

Steve

rugby bloke

Veteran
The RidewithGPS app works well - you can plan your route using the browser version then download to your phone. The app gives both visual and audio prompts. Be aware though - even running in airplane mode it will pretty much rinse your battery by 60 miles. So you may want to take a power pack and stop for a recharge and coffee break.

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

I’ve discovered the iPhone dies after 2.5 hours without any thing being turned off. I find that airplane mode on with Bluetooth on works well.

I need to be able to make contact at all times as occasionally I need to answer emails/WhatsApp/messenger to dal with Work things. Hence trying to make do with an iPhone only. I dont want to have anything in my jersey pocket if I can help it other than a ‘narna.
Will look at those apps, thanks peeps,

Steve

tom73

Guru
2.5 hours ? Sound's like you have a few app's running in the background you may not know about. Have a good look around just incase. Are you using a 3rd partly HR monitor hence the need for Bluetooth?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’ve discovered the iPhone dies after 2.5 hours without any thing being turned off. I find that airplane mode on with Bluetooth on works well.

I need to be able to make contact at all times as occasionally I need to answer emails/WhatsApp/messenger to dal with Work things. Hence trying to make do with an iPhone only. I dont want to have anything in my jersey pocket if I can help it other than a ‘narna.
Will look at those apps, thanks peeps,

Steve

Your Wahoo device will notify you with bleeps, lights and a banner message when you get a message or email. Clever huh?

Out yesterday for 12 hours +. Phone switched on as usual. Browsing during stops, taking photos etc. 70% of battery remaining. The Wahoo Elemnt took care of navigation and mapping.

vickster

Legendary Member
Your Wahoo device will notify you with bleeps, lights and a banner message when you get a message or email. Clever huh?
Does with texts not sure about whatsApp?

Whats stopping you having the Wahoo for bike needs and phone for phone stuff, battery life will be so much better surely

What's a tikkr?

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Trying to manage without another gadget, if an app will Work well, no need for another computer. I just loaded up comoot and it seems to be easy to plan a route and can down load it for off line use. Will give it a go, see how i get on.
Cheers
Steve

vickster

Legendary Member
Trying to manage without another gadget, if an app will Work well, no need for another computer. I just loaded up comoot and it seems to be easy to plan a route and can down load it for off line use. Will give it a go, see how i get on.
Cheers
Steve
You have to pay for maps on Komoot (you get one small area as a taster iirc) but they usually have some deal

Top Bottom