iPhone or cycle computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
If your already using a tickr then your 1/2 to using a bike computer anyway. @Heltor Chasca is spot on right tool right job. Once I got use to being on a bike I went from Apple watch to Wahoo. Combine what you have with a bike computer will give you all you need and save's having to worry about your phone going dead on you.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just been on a 56km cycle using Komoot and it works really well! Thanks for the heads up Heltor Chasca!

Steve

It is good. When you register (free or otherwise) you get weekly suggestions for local rides. You can also search for rides in a particular region. While I was away I only booked one campsite. I set Kamoot to display campsites in an area I was headed, then when you click/tap on the site, it tells you how far it is and plots a route. You can then find out in seconds if you are overshooting or undershooting your desired mileage. Important as I was touring with my kids.

It works for loads of other things. Museums, train stations, supermarkets attractions etc etc. And you can upload a route directly to a Wahoo device. (And in balance, a Garmin too)

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Nice. I found, after I turned data off to save bats, that it didn’t reroute and take the main drag I was taking(as the proposed route I missed the turning). But other than that, the voice directions were accurate and timely.
Worth buying the full maps I’m sure, but for now the local map which was free, will suffice.
Steve

si_c

Guru
Nice. I found, after I turned data off to save bats, that it didn’t reroute and take the main drag I was taking(as the proposed route I missed the turning). But other than that, the voice directions were accurate and timely.
Worth buying the full maps I’m sure, but for now the local map which was free, will suffice.
Steve
Biggest battery save is the screen. You should be able to get at least 6 hours out of a phone even with navigation if you turn the screen off and just check it periodically.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I switch the screen off with RWGPS running, audio & visual prompts happen when a turn is reached. Battery life not a problem.

podsquad

Garmin device all the way....

You crash your bike with a £600 iPhone strapped to the bars it’s game over, you will the wish you spent £250 on a Garmin or similar.

Plus battery life on iPhones is rubbish especially when cold, too distracting with calls, texts and emails popping up.

I contemplated a Garmin for a few months, that was over four years ago and it was one of the best £300 I have spent. Still use the same Garmin now

Last edited:
I use a Motorola's E4 Plus just for long trips
£80 from argos referb

4 weeks standby

Big screen, big battery, 100 miles +

and it makes phone calls if you got a sig,,

Top Bottom