Ireland and Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for this, have always tended to stay away from public areas as they tend to be too ... public, one exception was around the edge of the town football ground in Kinlochleven during the Glasgow Fair many years back when there was a small village of tents, the owners all walking the West Highland Way :biggrin: Good manners and common sense seem to be the key to wild camping, stick to the edges of any field and keep a tidy camp. Being solo with a small tent tends to mean things are quiet anyway, the amount of noise is proportional to the square of the number of people or so I was once told!
Its just you'll be camping at a time of year when they'd be out in the fields more, and earlier. Theft can be major problem on the farms and I've seen extreme measures used that were within the law, when people have been found on land by the owners.

classic33

Leg End Member
For getting from the East Coast to the West Coast, There's this Dublin to Galway

OP
OP
Wandrin

Wandrin

Also marked in yellow, The Old Bog Road! Bodyke at the bend to Ogonnelloe. Not quite 4 metres and no tar. On the plus side it is a Strava section! 10 MPH in a tractor would be good going.
View attachment 91647

That's the perfect sort of route, a week of that sort of countryside in that sort of the weather will do very nicely :smile:

Got a wee reminder to warm up properly tonight, went out and at the traffic lights outside the house I pulled away with the sort of start off the line that Chris Hoy would have been envious of (well, maybe a slight exaggeration) to a dose of Ouch! a few yards further on. Took it easy after that and all seems ok.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's the perfect sort of route, a week of that sort of countryside in that sort of the weather will do very nicely :smile:

Got a wee reminder to warm up properly tonight, went out and at the traffic lights outside the house I pulled away with the sort of start off the line that Chris Hoy would have been envious of (well, maybe a slight exaggeration) to a dose of Ouch! a few yards further on. Took it easy after that and all seems ok.
To the left of the road is a five foot deep drainage ditch. Right-hand side has a drop of about four feet. And the cows wander free(additional road covering).

OP
OP
Wandrin

Wandrin

A what killed the cat question, what ferry are you going over on?

Irish Ferries, on the slow boat cos it's a couple of quid cheaper :biggrin: £39 each way, that includes the bicycle surcharge, the bike is added later on in the booking process as an extra. It suited the timings too as I was initially planning on leaving Manchester on Monday night after work and doing the 140mile dash to the catch the Wednesday ferry. Thankfully sense set in and I've now got the Monday off and have decided to leave Sunday and take the detour via Preston and Southport.

Also sort of considered taking the Liverpool to Birkenhead ferry to add another ferry into the journey. May still do but I kinda like Runcorn.

classic33

Leg End Member
Irish Ferries, on the slow boat cos it's a couple of quid cheaper :biggrin: £39 each way, that includes the bicycle surcharge, the bike is added later on in the booking process as an extra. It suited the timings too as I was initially planning on leaving Manchester on Monday night after work and doing the 140mile dash to the catch the Wednesday ferry. Thankfully sense set in and I've now got the Monday off and have decided to leave Sunday and take the detour via Preston and Southport.

Also sort of considered taking the Liverpool to Birkenhead ferry to add another ferry into the journey. May still do but I kinda like Runcorn.
Did the Trip from this side of the Pennines(Eastern) to Holyhead, and then down the far side within 24 hours. You'll be taking it easy.

OP
OP
Wandrin

Wandrin

Which of the slow boats,? There's now two, Eplsilon & Ulysses.
Ulysses out, plan to get there midday, that gives me an hour or two contingency time before booking in. Will you be down that way that day?

classic33

Leg End Member
Ulysses out, plan to get there midday, that gives me an hour or two contingency time before booking in. Will you be down that way that day?
About 150 miles away. I was going to ask what you thought of the new ship on that route.

OP
OP
Wandrin

Wandrin

Thanks classic33 and all, the bike is (over)loaded and I'm just having a last coffee before the off.

There is sunshine, it might be behind a cloud, but it's there, somewhere, and I intend to find it!

pics to follow

ttfn

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks classic33 and all, the bike is (over)loaded and I'm just having a last coffee before the off.

There is sunshine, it might be behind a cloud, but it's there, somewhere, and I intend to find it!

pics to follow

ttfn
Enjoy

Top Bottom