Ireland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yes, it's so good we want to keep it a secret, so we say its rubbish and everyone goes to France instead ;-)

I haven't given up on touring Ireland yet ;). Although I am beginning to think it might be better suited to a tour on the motorbike. That way I can carry more warm and waterproof clothing to suit the variety of weather. A bit like home from home, come to think of it :smile:.

I haven't given up on touring Ireland yet ;). Although I am beginning to think it might be better suited to a tour on the motorbike. That way I can carry more warm and waterproof clothing to suit the variety of weather. A bit like home from home, come to think of it :smile:.

Certainly don't give up:thumbsup: Ireland especially the west and south west is a great place to tour, I only get a few days in at a time, but would love to spend much longer.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=8412&v=2Z
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9398&v=2i

Mind you these reports do mention, snow, hail, heavy rain and dodgy roads:ohmy: But then touring by bike is about being "elemental" isn't it?:smile:

A tour along the north coast would be quite spectacular. The coast road from Larne to Derry is astounding. Mad geology, beautiful landscapes that change at every turn, views to Scotland (pretty often), cliff-top castles and it's all on top of each other. Travel for five minutes and there will be something new and amazing to explore. If you take the Torr Road from Cushendun past Fair Head on a clear day - you'll have to able to crank yourself up some stupidly steep roads - but the views would be breathtaking.

_MG_3888.jpg

White Park Bay. Displaying one of the quirks of the northern coast. There is often a strip of glorious sunshine that runs along the shore where the weather hasn't had the chance to realise that it's finally hit land. Two miles up the road and it will have been dull and drizzly all day, on the beach - uninterrupted sunshine. The fact that the gulf stream swirls round the north coast also means that the weather is generally pretty mild and is probably why many of us that had family holidays in these parts managed to survive childhood. It also explains the beach resorts and palm trees. Mind you, if there is an interesting Atlantic weather system coming in you're going to get it in the face.

_MG_3923.jpg

Donegal from Downhill Demesne. The spectacle just keeps on going. Another micro-climate just round the corner from where this photo was taken lends a very different atmosphere to the coast road. Between the cliffs of Binevenagh and the Foyle shore they mainly grow grass. Huge expanses of lawn to be used as sporting turf. It's an odd place with the mountain looming over it and the flatness of Magilligan Point reaching out to Donegal.

_MG_3675.jpg

Mull of Kintyre, Sanda, Aisla Craig and the Galloway mainland from Rathlin. I'd recommend Rathlin as a stopover with an easy day to follow. Cycling is the most convenient way of getting about the island even if there isn't that far that you can go. There is the RSPB reserve and upside down lighthouse at the western end of the island and lots of good walking, plus the chance to sample the unique atmosphere of Rathlin island life - they're a bit unconventional (the members of my family that live there certainly are).

One of the characteristics of the north coast that stands out is that, apart from the Giant's Causeway, it's not overrun by tourists, especially the further west you go. Maybe it's best if I don't recommend it as a destination.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A tour along the north coast would be quite spectacular. The coast road from Larne to Derry is astounding. Mad geology, beautiful landscapes that change at every turn, views to Scotland (pretty often), cliff-top castles and it's all on top of each other. Travel for five minutes and there will be something new and amazing to explore. If you take the Torr Road from Cushendun past Fair Head on a clear day - you'll have to able to crank yourself up some stupidly steep roads - but the views would be breathtaking.

_MG_3888.jpg

White Park Bay. Displaying one of the quirks of the northern coast. There is often a strip of glorious sunshine that runs along the shore where the weather hasn't had the chance to realise that it's finally hit land. Two miles up the road and it will have been dull and drizzly all day, on the beach - uninterrupted sunshine. The fact that the gulf stream swirls round the north coast also means that the weather is generally pretty mild and is probably why many of us that had family holidays in these parts managed to survive childhood. It also explains the beach resorts and palm trees. Mind you, if there is an interesting Atlantic weather system coming in you're going to get it in the face.

_MG_3923.jpg

Donegal from Downhill Demesne. The spectacle just keeps on going. Another micro-climate just round the corner from where this photo was taken lends a very different atmosphere to the coast road. Between the cliffs of Binevenagh and the Foyle shore they mainly grow grass. Huge expanses of lawn to be used as sporting turf. It's an odd place with the mountain looming over it and the flatness of Magilligan Point reaching out to Donegal.

_MG_3675.jpg

Mull of Kintyre, Sanda, Aisla Craig and the Galloway mainland from Rathlin. I'd recommend Rathlin as a stopover with an easy day to follow. Cycling is the most convenient way of getting about the island even if there isn't that far that you can go. There is the RSPB reserve and upside down lighthouse at the western end of the island and lots of good walking, plus the chance to sample the unique atmosphere of Rathlin island life - they're a bit unconventional (the members of my family that live there certainly are).

One of the characteristics of the north coast that stands out is that, apart from the Giant's Causeway, it's not overrun by tourists, especially the further west you go. Maybe it's best if I don't recommend it as a destination.
I can confirm all of this post. The Coast Rd has it's perks :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep, rain falls from an interminable slate grey sky, all day, every day. I was born there but have to be dragged back kicking and screaming to visit relatives. I have no recollection of a dry day in Ireland, or, ever seeing the sun..
Spent many a fine, dry, sunny day there. Summer of 95 being one of the warmest.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was last in Southern Ireland about 7 years ago, and came across some right obnoxious twats in the Dublin area.
I always promised myself I'd never go back.

That said, the rest of Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland is still ok!

jags

Guru
the weather here is not all that bad to be honest yeah it rain's but are you trying to say it doesn't rain in the uk or france :laugh: MDB there prats everywhere thats a fact when i go to the uk i get slagged for my accent it doesn't bother me to be honest water off a ducks back.
yeah touring in Ireland is much the same as anywhere else if the sun is shining you could be anywhere in the world.

Bodhbh

Guru
It's a while since I've been over, but I can't say it's that the weather is much worse than England and certainly not worse than the highlands and islands...which always get highly touted here as touring locations. As someone who likes his food and drink and eating out while on tour tho, what does put me off are the prices down south.

Top Bottom