Ireland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
There doesn't seem to be much mention of Ireland in the touring section. Is there any good reason for this? It's just that I have a free 10 days or so coming up and one of my potential destinations is Ireland. Catching the ferry from Troon to Larne and then heading south, or west, or both; and just getting lost in Ireland for a few days.

I don't like traveling with a fixed plan, so it would be a case of finding B&Bs as I went along (still too cold for camping at night). To get to the point; what are the roads like in general, and is it a practical idea to head off and expect to find reasonably priced accommodation of an evening at short notice? I might carry my tent and sleeping bag for emergency use. The weather forecast looks good for at least the first few days I would be going.

Fuzzball

Head north up the coast route to the causeway area, it's all lovely views and never too far from accommodation. Roads are no worse than Scotland generally. Nip across border and do Donegal as well

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You can usually find lots of small country roads that are fairly quiet if they are not the main A-roads linking towns. There isn't really anywhere that is totally flat - either drumlins or bigger hills in Sperrins, Mournes or Glens of Antrim.

snorri

Legendary Member
The north east corner is quite hilly:rolleyes:, but with the height you get the views!
Consider an overnight on Rathlin, taking the ferry from Ballycastle, or a run out to Bangor and around Strangford Lough including the Portaferry-Strangford ferry.

avsd

Guru
The wind and rain might be one of the reasons it not a main touring site.

The two suggestions above are good - Antrim Coast road and Strangford Lough. Bushmills Distillery is worth a visit. I would give Rathlin a miss - not much cycling.

The Belfast/Lisburn towpath is a good cycle route with Hilden Brewery at the end.

Mountains of Mourne are good - stick to coastal roads if you don't like hills.

We have toured in Ireland. Northern Ireland roads were fine, though it is one of the few places I have been litterally blown off my bike whilst cycling by a gust of wind! the Giant's causeway is worth it, just go very early (and low tide helps).

The roads in western & south western Eire are another matter entirely. They are spoke breakers, bone shackers and if something is going to fall off your bike, it will. But all that said, we love Ireland and touring there is great. Follow the link in my signature for our journal.
I can very definitely recommend all of the west coast, if you like scenery and challenges (actually the climbs are not that bad, the irish like easier gradients on the whole, but some of the single track roads are, well steep) and the motorists are so laid back there, they are more likely to check you are OK than overtake you - coach parties being the exception and even they wait until it is safe!
(We took the Larne to Troon ferry - if you have a hi-viz jacket you can go on as a car, if not, you would be treated as a foot passenger & bike in cart... at least when we did it back 2 years ago).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yep, rain falls from an interminable slate grey sky, all day, every day. I was born there but have to be dragged back kicking and screaming to visit relatives. I have no recollection of a dry day in Ireland, or, ever seeing the sun..

My only holiday in Ireland coincided with its only heat wave. I got sunburnt on the first day of a two week holiday.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having read all of the above posts and warnings of dodgy road surfaces and rain, I can now announce that the ferry is booked ...... to FRANCE! :laugh:. Thanks to all who posted in any case.

Leaving Portsmouth next Wednesday night heading to St Malo. The - very loose plan - is to take a tour around the Cotentin peninsula to Coutances, Cherbourg etc., then make my way to Caen for the return ferry a week later. Might have to look at lengthening the route depending on the weather.

So; any offers of a safe parking space within 20 miles of Portsmouth ferry terminal? :thumbsup:
Been looking on Parkatmyhouse.com .

avalon

Guru
Having read all of the above posts and warnings of dodgy road surfaces and rain, I can now announce that the ferry is booked ...... to FRANCE! :laugh:. Thanks to all who posted in any case.
That's a shame. I was looking forward to a report on Ireland, If I could cycle any where in the world Ireland would be somewhere near the top of the list.

Crankarm

Guru
A much wiser choice B although the weather in northern France is not great at the mo either in fact it's been pretty wet in the south too.

Bon route!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The thing about the rain in Ireland is that you do get wet days but more often than not it is showers that pass quickly leaving behind sunshine and sparkling countryside - though I'll grant you that it may not be as warm as France;). But I have been in the water at Portrush/Portstewart many a time as a child - so it can't be too cold (I'm grown up now and find even Cornwall sea's need a very warm sunny day to tempt me in fully!)

Top Bottom