Cycling the whole coast of Ireland - anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
And......
Whether you publish it or not I have found taking daily notes and writing them up at the end of the day to be a great tool for remembering detail. With a smartphone it's so easy to type notes or even voice memos.
On such a long trip days can blur and so much detail can be lost.
Strava/RWGPS offer the chance to record your ride and add photos and notes too. Simple, straightforward and very, very rewarding.

This^^^^^^
I travelled on foot from Mizen Head to Malin Head via Dublin in May of 1989. I didn't make any notes of my journey because, of course I would remember all about it. The years have rolled on and the incidences and experiences have sort of blended together and parts of it are misremembered. Do take notes, even if all you can manage are a few lines at the end of each day.

Do take notes, even if all you can manage are a few lines at the end of each day.
With smartphones it's really easy. Lots of photos, voice memos and each day takes care of itself.
Pretty much all of the apps (Strava, RWGPS & Komoot) make it easy to record the ride and photos with comments.

Tenkaykev

Guru
With smartphones it's really easy. Lots of photos, voice memos and each day takes care of itself.
Pretty much all of the apps (Strava, RWGPS & Komoot) make it easy to record the ride and photos with comments.

Indeed! My journey was pre mobile phone era, it’s wonderful to have the ability to take a photo and have the location automatically recorded, to see exactly where you are in the landscape via gps mapping. I find it easier to use a notebook to scribble down a few lines, it seems to flow easier than my “ hunt and peck “ at a keyboard.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This^^^^^^
I travelled on foot from Mizen Head to Malin Head via Dublin in May of 1989. I didn't make any notes of my journey because, of course I would remember all about it. The years have rolled on and the incidences and experiences have sort of blended together and parts of it are misremembered. Do take notes, even if all you can manage are a few lines at the end of each day.

Going from west coast to east coast and back again is certainly a different way of doing it.

Sixmile

Veteran
In case anyone was wondering.... it's happening! Time booked off work, plans in place, minimal gear borrowed or bought, routes plotted. Now for a few training rides and a quick bike maintenance 'course' from a mate in return for a couple of ciders. Your number 1 tips for a cycle journey of this scale, if you can be bothered...?!

How many days are you planning to do it in? Sailing to Belfast and out of Dublin or what are your plans? If you want any pointers, places of interest, route info for the Northern end of your trip, just ask away.

I've just booked a 9 day family (wife and two kids 8 & 9) cycling holiday in July, with the help of a few ferries from Belfast to Isle to Man to Heysham to Chester then out home Birkenhead - Belfast. I've all the hotels booked and most of the mapping finished already - subject to change of course!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just trying to work out why you left the west coast and diverted across to the east.

Ah, I see what you mean. When I looked at my atlas when I was planning the journey Mizen Head just seemed to be bottom left, I'd not thought of it being on the west coast. I started at Mizen Head and followed the east coast via Cork to Dublin. It would have been shorter heading up the west coast but I knew some people in Dublin who would put me up for the night. Headed from Dublin via Ardee and crossed the border at Aughnacloy and from there via Omagh and Derry to arrive at Malin Head. I planned the trip to celebrate my 40th Birthday, the distance via the west coast was about 370 miles or thereabouts, but by going via Dublin it gave me about 420 miles which was sort of 10 miles per year if you get my reasoning.
Although my trip started inauspiciously in that I missed my bus to Poole railway station and so had to run the three miles with my back pack in order to catch my train, I did manage to make it, due in no small part to the kindness of strangers.

badolki

Über Member
A bit late to the party but for anyone who has read this far can I recommend "Around Ireland on a bike" by Paul Benjaminse.
(ISBN 978-1-84717-309-6) The complete guide with maps, suggested accommodation and practical advice. It is a 2012 publication but I doubt if the roads have changed very much and he suggests places of interest on the way. Also a Cicerone guide by Tom Cooper "Cycle touring in Ireland" (ISBN 978-1-85284-562-9) a collection of routes which could be combined to do a cicuit of the island.

Sallar55

Veteran
Done Dublin to Belfast round the coast in the 80ies, nice in places. Decided its going to be mountains for scenery and southern Europe for better weather on future tours.
Well we are back in Ireland,only because its better than cycling up thro England. Rosslare to Kinsale is pretty poor for camping and Velo route 1 to Cork is not very good. Not for anyone going somewhere fast as it likes goiing round in circles.On the velo 1 version of the WAW route .Tip don't download the whole Velo 1 its a poor gpx linking up points with straight lines, my Garmin was saying off course due to the cutting of corners ,curves or junctions. The route has 40 gpx sections they are better. Camping is dear if you compare it to cyclotouring in france ,25/30 euro for 2 and tent

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Todays camping , 26 euro for 2 plus €1 for a 3 min shower. No shaver points or hand dryer in toilet. Kitchen has no facilities and the best for last 2 USB ports in a blanked off twin socket. This is for a decent size camping 😲

PXL_20230622_170000063.jpg

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Do it clockwise, so you're riding the coast side of the road.
The reason why its a Derry start is the wind . North to South is against the normal southwesterly wind,but you are on the landward side of the road. With the traffic density and the occasional big gusts of wind they think it's safer. We are heading north and when a gust hits its hard to hold a line. Now its an official Velo route ( signage only for most of it so far) the Europeans will probably start at Rosslare as it has ferries to France and Spain.

Top Bottom